Seahawk Profiles: Brittany Blackwell

Jim Dallke

Freshmen basketball players are supposed to go through a learning period, where they learn a new coaching system, develop chemistry with their new team, and discover the rigors of Division 1 athletics. Brittany Blackwell is an exception to the rule.

The 6-1 forward from Raleigh, N.C. has made an immediate impact for the Seahawk women’s basketball team. Through 17 games Blackwell is second on the team in scoring, field goal attempts, field goals made, free throws made, and total points. She leads the team in field goal percentage and rebounds per game. Blackwell is taking her early success in stride.

“It’s been fun, but stressful at times. Workouts have been tough, but I love picking up my team and getting them pumped up during the game.”

Blackwell, last week, was named Colonial Athletic Association’s women’s basketball Rookie-of-the-Week for the third time this season. But the Cary Academy star is used to the success. After her four years as a Charger, Blackwell was the school’s all time leader in points, steals, rebounds and free-throws. She also holds single game and season highs in points, rebounds, and field goals. The McDonald’s All American nominee was unsure of her role coming into the season but soon realized her impact could be felt immediately.

“Honestly, I didn’t know (if I would make an immediate impact) being a freshman. But I started to see that I could really begin to help this team.”

Coach Ann Hancock could see Blackwell’s potential before the season began. Hancock spoke with reporters and stated, “Brittany has shown a tremendous amount of versatility in our early workouts. I feel she can contribute early in a variety of positions and situations. She has impressed me with her competitiveness and desire to win at everything she does.”

Hancock predicted Blackwell’s success correctly, but it hasn’t come without hard work. In high school Blackwell played mostly guard and has been asked to play forward for the Seahawks.

“Its been a tough transition because im so used to facing up to the basket,” Blackwell said. “But it gave me motivation to work hard.”

Also Blackwell has been playing with a injured foot since a game in December and wears a protective boot when walking around campus. But  in a Tom Brady-esque way, continues to play. After Blackwell’s third CAA Rookie-of-the-Week award, coach Hancock sang the praises of her injured star.

“She has worked extremely hard to return from her foot injury and this recognition is reward for that work.”

Blackwell is a talented player who looks to have a promising career at UNCW. In fact, some people around the program feel that she can be one of the best players in Seahawk history. When asked how she feels about those accolades, Blackwell paused and stated, “It gives me chills.”