• caption

News

Ann Marie Pierce: Wilmington local who took her love of running all the way to the Olympic Trials

•  Protestors oppose tolls at the WMPO Board Meeting. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

Wilmington locals outraged at Cape Fear Memorial Bridge toll meeting

• Maides Cemetery sign from the Historic Wilmington Foundation. (Sarah Carter/The Seahawk)

News

Ground Penetrating Radar used at Maides Cemetery to locate unmarked graves

• Platos Lofts at Randall sign. (Grace Lanham/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW to lease off-campus apartments to accommodate increasing acceptance rates

• Coach Wade high fives and greets several players. (UNCW Athletic Department)

Sports

Interview with Head Coach Ashley Wade and infielder Mary Sobataka

•  Anti-gun violence march in Washington, D.C. (Chip Vincent/Unsplash)

Opinion

OP-ED: We will not wait for the next school shooting

• Design by Nate Mauldin (Background: Adobe Stock)

Opinion

Letter from the Editor: 75 years of student reporting

• (Background:Adobe Stock)

Culture

The Seahawk’s staff picks of 2023

• A map of emergency callboxes on campus. (UNCW) [hyperlink: https://uncw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=579a0e90030c4864a41c70fbe06338d9 ]

New encrypted technology is allowing sexual assault survivors to anonymously report perpetrators

• From left, doctors Michael Tift, Allison Loftis and Tiffany Keenan of UNCW’s Marine Mammal Stranding Program.

News

Gervais’ beaked whale stranded with balloon in stomach

Plato’s Lofts at Randall sign. (Grace Lanham/The Seahawk)

In a recent announcement from UNCW’s Director of Housing and Residence Life (HRL), Dr. Kevin Meaney, said the university will be leasing off-campus apartments to students who are classified as upperclassmen — juniors and seniors. With recent over-admittance rates, on-campus housing cannot support the influx of students. Students looking to rent an apartment through the HRL office will have the ability to choose off-campus housing.

Meaney confirmed that UNCW is not looking to purchase the apartment complexes, but rather lease out the buildings to have additional beds for the 2024–2025 school year. To get approval for a master lease — an agreement of an income-producing property is leased as a single tenant and then subleased to tenants to get rental income — but must be approved by the Board of Governors. Currently, UNCW is looking to enter into a lease agreement with Plato’s Lofts at Randall.

UNCW underclassmen, freshmen and sophomores, who do not have residential status in Wilmington are required to live on campus for two years. Upperclassmen students have expressed concerns about not finding on-campus housing, even if they want to live on campus. The process for selecting ideal apartments included looking at properties that are on the city bus lines.

“If we hit our targets for enrollment next year, we’re going to just not have enough space on campus to also be able to accommodate the juniors and seniors,” Meaney said.

After contacting the university’s Office of Business Affairs, the Office of University Relations (OUR) informed The Seahawk that there are currently no updates regarding finalizing the terms of the lease. Meaney also confirmed that HRL does not have plans to continue leasing off-campus apartments because UNCW is in the final stages of finalizing their plan. This plan highlights the Office of the Chancellor’s goals for the university and serves as a “discovery phase.”

“We just didn’t want to have nothing for our juniors and seniors,” Meaney said. “We know there is a desire for our upper-class students to at least lease through the university to simplify that payment process and that piece of their financial picture.”

This is a developing story. We will update you as the situation continues.