• caption

News

Ann Marie Pierce: Wilmington local who took her love of running all the way to the Olympic Trials

•  Protestors oppose tolls at the WMPO Board Meeting. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

Wilmington locals outraged at Cape Fear Memorial Bridge toll meeting

• Maides Cemetery sign from the Historic Wilmington Foundation. (Sarah Carter/The Seahawk)

News

Ground Penetrating Radar used at Maides Cemetery to locate unmarked graves

• Platos Lofts at Randall sign. (Grace Lanham/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW to lease off-campus apartments to accommodate increasing acceptance rates

• Coach Wade high fives and greets several players. (UNCW Athletic Department)

Sports

Interview with Head Coach Ashley Wade and infielder Mary Sobataka

•  Anti-gun violence march in Washington, D.C. (Chip Vincent/Unsplash)

Opinion

OP-ED: We will not wait for the next school shooting

• Design by Nate Mauldin (Background: Adobe Stock)

Opinion

Letter from the Editor: 75 years of student reporting

• (Background:Adobe Stock)

Culture

The Seahawk’s staff picks of 2023

• A map of emergency callboxes on campus. (UNCW) [hyperlink: https://uncw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=579a0e90030c4864a41c70fbe06338d9 ]

New encrypted technology is allowing sexual assault survivors to anonymously report perpetrators

• From left, doctors Michael Tift, Allison Loftis and Tiffany Keenan of UNCW’s Marine Mammal Stranding Program.

News

Gervais’ beaked whale stranded with balloon in stomach

OP-ED: Flocking together

(Ralph Mayhew/Unsplash)

Welcome back, Seahawks.

It is becoming a UNCW tradition to begin each semester with some sort of natural disaster that involves heavy rain, high wind gusts and tornado threats. Despite the chaos, I have decided to look at this as a good omen – pulling a positive from the negative experience keeps your outlook in focus. I hope that all my fellow students and faculty were safe during the storm and that no personal damages had been done.

Despite the weather, I am certainly looking forward to a new term and the start of a new chapter full of opportunities. The past two weeks have been spent doing one of my favorite things – back-to-school shopping. Nostalgic memories begin to resurface during this time especially when fall semester rolls around. From going to the store with your parents, holding in their hands “the list.” If you grew up in the 90’s, that list was probably written on the back of a phone or water bill envelope that you carried in the store and used as a shopping guide. Strolling up and down the aisles hoping to see all the newly designed trapper keepers, sparkly notepads, No. 2 pencils and the scented erasers that filled the store with the aroma of back-to-school essentials. Nonetheless, it was one of the best parts of being a kid; particularly, if you were a bit nerdy like myself. I guess some things never change and isn’t that a blessing.

For Spring 2024, this marks a new beginning to do your best, thrive in your studies and your community, learn from any mistakes in past semesters and apply those lessons toward the future. We have all come a long way, and for some of us the road is just getting started. The beauty of the semester comes with all the friendships we create, the lessons we learn in and out of the classroom and the legacy we will leave behind.

Therefore, as a big sister type, my advice for my fellow students is to embrace all the prospects that are being offered at this incredible university. Make every effort possible pull out all the stops and just give it your all. Be yourself, but also welcome new ideas and opinions and do not be afraid to try a different approach. Never play follow the leader always follow your gut instincts and ask for help whenever needed. Remember, UNCW has multiple resources and connections that are available to all students, so do not be shy or embarrassed when needing help. While pursing your degree, it is our duty and obligation as students to take advantage of all means and measures necessary to ensure success in whatever field you choose.

With all that said, get ready to fly high and make a difference.

View Comments (1)