• Sign outside of Randall Library. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Culture

REDdress demonstration outside of Randall Library

• Image of the April 2 SGA Meeting where they discussed the grading point-scale change. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

SGA looks to implement universal 10-point grading scale

• Photos of

News

Q&A with 2024-2025 school year student body president and student body vice president

• Image of emergency service vehicles outside of Morton. (Peyton James/The Seahawk)

News

​​COVID cluster or electrical fire?

• Biden-Harris administration hosts roundtable to discuss the experiences of two womens pregnancies post the overturn of Roe v. Wade in 2022 (Courtesy of the Biden Campaign).

News

Biden Campaign sits down with student journalists to discuss abortion rights

• Randall Library is under construction as UNCW works to expand the building and resources it offers. (Peyton Lewis/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW invests in new expansion to Randall Library

• People walk with You belong signs at a Pride month protest. (Adiden Craver/Unsplash.com)

Culture

Community, isolation and politics: The mental health of queer students at UNCW

• Group shot of SWE. (Courtesy: Tyler Stubbs)

News

Dredging on Wrightsville Beach coming to a close

• Signs for primary candidates posted outside of an early voting site. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

The New Hanover County candidates on your general election ballot

• Smoke rises from Village Green, as seen from the Central Deck parking garage. (Amelia McNeese/The Seahawk)

News

Fire at Green Village Apartments displaces residents and students

Ad seeking college-age actors for TV production

OP-ED: Flocking together

(Ralph Mayhew/Unsplash)

Welcome back, Seahawks.

It is becoming a UNCW tradition to begin each semester with some sort of natural disaster that involves heavy rain, high wind gusts and tornado threats. Despite the chaos, I have decided to look at this as a good omen – pulling a positive from the negative experience keeps your outlook in focus. I hope that all my fellow students and faculty were safe during the storm and that no personal damages had been done.

Despite the weather, I am certainly looking forward to a new term and the start of a new chapter full of opportunities. The past two weeks have been spent doing one of my favorite things – back-to-school shopping. Nostalgic memories begin to resurface during this time especially when fall semester rolls around. From going to the store with your parents, holding in their hands “the list.” If you grew up in the 90’s, that list was probably written on the back of a phone or water bill envelope that you carried in the store and used as a shopping guide. Strolling up and down the aisles hoping to see all the newly designed trapper keepers, sparkly notepads, No. 2 pencils and the scented erasers that filled the store with the aroma of back-to-school essentials. Nonetheless, it was one of the best parts of being a kid; particularly, if you were a bit nerdy like myself. I guess some things never change and isn’t that a blessing.

For Spring 2024, this marks a new beginning to do your best, thrive in your studies and your community, learn from any mistakes in past semesters and apply those lessons toward the future. We have all come a long way, and for some of us the road is just getting started. The beauty of the semester comes with all the friendships we create, the lessons we learn in and out of the classroom and the legacy we will leave behind.

Therefore, as a big sister type, my advice for my fellow students is to embrace all the prospects that are being offered at this incredible university. Make every effort possible pull out all the stops and just give it your all. Be yourself, but also welcome new ideas and opinions and do not be afraid to try a different approach. Never play follow the leader always follow your gut instincts and ask for help whenever needed. Remember, UNCW has multiple resources and connections that are available to all students, so do not be shy or embarrassed when needing help. While pursing your degree, it is our duty and obligation as students to take advantage of all means and measures necessary to ensure success in whatever field you choose.

With all that said, get ready to fly high and make a difference.

View Comments (1)