• caption

News

Ann Marie Pierce: Wilmington local who took her love of running all the way to the Olympic Trials

•  Protestors oppose tolls at the WMPO Board Meeting. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

Wilmington locals outraged at Cape Fear Memorial Bridge toll meeting

• Maides Cemetery sign from the Historic Wilmington Foundation. (Sarah Carter/The Seahawk)

News

Ground Penetrating Radar used at Maides Cemetery to locate unmarked graves

• Platos Lofts at Randall sign. (Grace Lanham/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW to lease off-campus apartments to accommodate increasing acceptance rates

• Coach Wade high fives and greets several players. (UNCW Athletic Department)

Sports

Interview with Head Coach Ashley Wade and infielder Mary Sobataka

•  Anti-gun violence march in Washington, D.C. (Chip Vincent/Unsplash)

Opinion

OP-ED: We will not wait for the next school shooting

• Design by Nate Mauldin (Background: Adobe Stock)

Opinion

Letter from the Editor: 75 years of student reporting

• (Background:Adobe Stock)

Culture

The Seahawk’s staff picks of 2023

• A map of emergency callboxes on campus. (UNCW) [hyperlink: https://uncw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=579a0e90030c4864a41c70fbe06338d9 ]

New encrypted technology is allowing sexual assault survivors to anonymously report perpetrators

• From left, doctors Michael Tift, Allison Loftis and Tiffany Keenan of UNCW’s Marine Mammal Stranding Program.

News

Gervais’ beaked whale stranded with balloon in stomach

Wilmington police respond to shooting on College Road

Police respond to gunshots at BP Gas station (Jamie Leigh Royal/The Seahawk).

On Jan. 26 at 11:38 a.m. UNCW students received an email reporting shots had been fired near the 400 block of S. College Road, which is adjacent to the main campus. This incident is just a week after receiving another email about suspected bomb threats that were later discovered to be a hoax by a current UNCW student.

The Wilmington Police Department responded to reports that a man, later identified as Edwin Leroy Vaughan, age 67, was standing on the median where S. College Road and Randall Drive intersect. When police approached Vaughan, they stated they noticed Vaughan’s hands remaining concealed in his pockets. When Vaughan was asked by the police to remove his hands, he refused. After fleeing from police, Vaughan stopped at the BP gas station where he exposed a firearm and began shooting at police.

Wilmington police detained Vaughan after a shoot-out between him and officers. Once in custody, Vaughan was charged with two counts of assault on law enforcement with a firearm. More charges will be dispensed at a later date. The assistant manager of the Halloween More 360 confirmed that one bullet hit the window, causing property damage. The window was patched, preventing any further damage. A mannequin was also hit, causing damage to the costume on display, a fragment of the bullet has been found by police.

Vaughan has a previous criminal history. In 2021, Vaughan was arrested for pointing a gun (without firing) at Wilmington Law enforcement on Randall Parkway next to the UNCW campus. The case was dismissed on Feb. 17, 2023, after the accused had already served a year and a half in custody for the incident.

A UNCW freshman student and her mother, who wish to remain anonymous for privacy protection, were close by when the shooting began.

“Even though bad things happen to innocent people every day, it’s good to know that there are people who are willing to fight back,” said the onlookers in a joint statement. “Watching the police handle the situation and my daughter quickly getting notifications from the university about the shooting, I can feel a little comfort knowing that she is protected.”