• Sign outside of Randall Library. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Culture

REDdress demonstration outside of Randall Library

• Image of the April 2 SGA Meeting where they discussed the grading point-scale change. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

SGA looks to implement universal 10-point grading scale

• Photos of

News

Q&A with 2024-2025 school year student body president and student body vice president

• Image of emergency service vehicles outside of Morton. (Peyton James/The Seahawk)

News

​​COVID cluster or electrical fire?

• Biden-Harris administration hosts roundtable to discuss the experiences of two womens pregnancies post the overturn of Roe v. Wade in 2022 (Courtesy of the Biden Campaign).

News

Biden Campaign sits down with student journalists to discuss abortion rights

• Randall Library is under construction as UNCW works to expand the building and resources it offers. (Peyton Lewis/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW invests in new expansion to Randall Library

• People walk with You belong signs at a Pride month protest. (Adiden Craver/Unsplash.com)

Culture

Community, isolation and politics: The mental health of queer students at UNCW

• Group shot of SWE. (Courtesy: Tyler Stubbs)

News

Dredging on Wrightsville Beach coming to a close

• Signs for primary candidates posted outside of an early voting site. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

The New Hanover County candidates on your general election ballot

• Smoke rises from Village Green, as seen from the Central Deck parking garage. (Amelia McNeese/The Seahawk)

News

Fire at Green Village Apartments displaces residents and students

​​COVID cluster or electrical fire?

Image of emergency service vehicles outside of Morton. (Peyton James/The Seahawk)

At 7:36 p.m. on Wednesday, April 10, UNCW students and staff received an email regarding a main campus-wide power outage. The headline confused several students and staff members, as the subject line read “COVID Cluster.”

Per UNCW’s Alert system, “A power outage is affecting the UNCW main campus. The university is working with the authorities to determine the cause.”

Students were not required to but continuously vacated buildings such as William M. Randall Library, dormitories and several other buildings on campus. Back-up generators began to turn on for a few buildings, including McNeil and Veterans Hall; two buildings that – in case of emergencies or natural disasters – can turn into a fully functioning hospital. 

Student desk employees for Campus Life in Fisher Student Center informed students that, “The Shore Dining Hall and Fisher Student Center will remain open for students who need a safe space,” the employees stated.

Wilmington Fire, Novant EMS, UNCW Police and Duke Energy crews arrived on campus at Morton Hall. While UNCW staff and students stood outside, Wilmington Fire-Fighters (WFFs) raised a fire engine’s ladder to the roof of Morton. Opening each exit door, firefighters fumigated the building.

A follow-up email from UNCW’s Alert system was sent to students and staff at 8:07 p.m. with the corrected subject line, “Power Outage on Campus.” 

WFFs entered the bottom level of Morton Hall to examine the building.

Around 8:30 p.m., on the side of Morton Hall that faces South College Rd, WFFs moved flashlights around the lower level of the building. At the time of the search, emergency responders told UNCW students and staff to vacate the premises.

According to several students standing outside, who spoke to emergency responders, “the cause of the power outage was an electrical fire,” the students said.

At about 8:50 p.m., UNCW’s Alert system sent its final email of the night, issuing an “All Clear: Power has been restored on the UNCW main Campus.”

Signage has been posted on all entrances of Morton. As of Friday, April 12, and there has yet to be a campus-wide notice or alert of information from the university regarding an electrical fire. Information has also been posted on all exits of the building to inform students who have classes in the 200-person lecture hall.