• caption

News

Ann Marie Pierce: Wilmington local who took her love of running all the way to the Olympic Trials

•  Protestors oppose tolls at the WMPO Board Meeting. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

Wilmington locals outraged at Cape Fear Memorial Bridge toll meeting

• Maides Cemetery sign from the Historic Wilmington Foundation. (Sarah Carter/The Seahawk)

News

Ground Penetrating Radar used at Maides Cemetery to locate unmarked graves

• Platos Lofts at Randall sign. (Grace Lanham/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW to lease off-campus apartments to accommodate increasing acceptance rates

• Coach Wade high fives and greets several players. (UNCW Athletic Department)

Sports

Interview with Head Coach Ashley Wade and infielder Mary Sobataka

•  Anti-gun violence march in Washington, D.C. (Chip Vincent/Unsplash)

Opinion

OP-ED: We will not wait for the next school shooting

• Design by Nate Mauldin (Background: Adobe Stock)

Opinion

Letter from the Editor: 75 years of student reporting

• (Background:Adobe Stock)

Culture

The Seahawk’s staff picks of 2023

• A map of emergency callboxes on campus. (UNCW) [hyperlink: https://uncw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=579a0e90030c4864a41c70fbe06338d9 ]

New encrypted technology is allowing sexual assault survivors to anonymously report perpetrators

• From left, doctors Michael Tift, Allison Loftis and Tiffany Keenan of UNCW’s Marine Mammal Stranding Program.

News

Gervais’ beaked whale stranded with balloon in stomach

UNCW creates brand new Shoreline Sports Complex

Arial view of the Shoreline Sports Complex. (Jeff Janowski/UNCW)

The Shoreline Sports Complex officially opened on campus Nov. 17, 2023. Before the renovation was made, there were previously three basketball courts and one sand volleyball court where the complex sits. These changes have been made with several reasons in mind, but one of the main reasons is that the official UNCW Beach Volleyball team can now play on campus. The team was previously playing off campus and the goal of the university with the complex is to allow more supporters to attend matches.

The Shoreline Sports Complex is a new addition and overhaul to the UNCW campus. There will be a complete list provided below of everything which the complex includes:

• Four lighted sand volleyball courts
  • Four lighted basketball courts
  • Four lighted tennis courts (two courts lined for pickleball)
  • A lighted, large grass field for competitive sports
  • A lighted, smaller grass field for free play
  • Outdoor fitness area
  • Pavilion building (seating, equipment check-out and restrooms)
  • Multiple water fountain/bottle filling stations

This complex is a big addition to the program, as this will help fans and athletes alike with the convenience of the location, as well as providing a convenient location for students to support the team. When asked his opinion about the complex concerning the Sand Volleyball team, Michael Oblinger, the Athletic Director, described the benefits this new center will provide the student athletes along with the attendees. He believes the renovations will provide athletes with a suitable area to practice and play games.

“We were playing off campus, and something I really want to be aware of is the student athlete experience,” Oblinger said. “Whether that is off campus, how we get from the locker room to and from [sporting events], that’s obviously a concern for me. So, this allows us to be on campus, which is a huge positive. Not only from day to day from a practice standpoint, but during competitions our student body and fans can come out to campus.”

Besides the importance to the Sand Volleyball team, the complex will aid students of many different athletic levels. There will be club sports played on this side of campus as well. With the variety of courts and activities available, there will be numerous chances for students to get involved with something they are interested in.

The proximity of the sports complex to the Pat Leonard Recreation Center, residence halls and the dining hall is important to UNCW’s initiative to improve student life on campus. The Shoreline Sports Complex is among the number of improvements made to this side of campus over the past number of years.

The purpose of this complex is to attain a variety of student interest. Students of all different ages and athletic levels will be able to find value in what it offers. The location on campus allows individuals to eat or connect with friends before, during or after their activity of choice, and all students are invited to use it.