Soccer teams split weekend series

Jim Dallke

The UNCW men’s and women’s soccer teams each experienced a weekend of mixed results last week when they split their respective road trips. Head coach Aidan Heaney’s men’s side knocked off Florida Atlantic before falling to Florida International, while Paul Cairney and the Lady Seahawks ended the swing on a winning note at Virginia Military Institute after being dropped by No. 24 Duke.

The women got the full slate of weekend soccer started Thursday with their trip to Durham, N.C. to face the nationally ranked Blue Devils at Koskinen Stadium. After holding Duke scoreless through the first half, the Seahawks were undone by two quick strikes shortly after the restart.

Blue Devil goals in the 47th and 54th minutes put the Seahawks in a hole they were unable to climb out of as Duke notched one more before the final whistle for the 3-0 scoreline.

“We battled well for 90 minutes against a top-ranked team,” Cairney said. “Giving up two early goals in the second half made it difficult for us to come back … We had some good opportunities in the second half and we were unlucky in that we were unable to find the back of the net during those chances.”

However, the Seahawks’ luck changed in the second game of the road swing when they came out on top against VMI, 1-0, Saturday.

Freshman starlet Stephanie Rose continued her hot start, heading home early from fellow freshman Lindsay Henry’s corner in the 10th minute. The goal was the second of Rose’s young career and proved to be all the Seahawks needed as sophomore goalkeeper Chandler Follett posted her seventh career shutout, moving her into a tie for third on UNCW’s all-time list.

“We got off to a quick start today and it was good to see two freshmen combine on the game-winning goal,” Cairney said. “It’s great to get a win on the road. Hopefully we can carry that momentum into next weekend’s games in the Carolinas Cup.”

On the men’s side, the Seahawks began the weekend with a 2-0 win at Florida Atlantic Friday. Like the women at VMI, the Seahawks started quickly when sophomore forward Shawn Guderian finished a cross from Christian Davidson in only the sixth minute.

Guderian, who has replaced suspended striker Devan Carroll, appears to be relishing the opportunity, netting his third goal in only two appearances after two second-half strikes against Campbell last week.

The Seahawks doubled their advantage and closed the scoring in the 28th minute when junior midfielder Daniel Roberts posted his first of the season.

The Seahawks, however, were unable to escape Florida unscathed as they were topped by Florida International, 2-0, Sunday. The Golden Panthers used two late strikes to open up the match and hand the Seahawks their first loss of the season.UNCW’s woes continued in the 89th minute when defender Christian Davidson was red carded for a hard foul in the Seahawk penalty area. Davidson will miss the Seahawks’ next match through suspension.

Heaney’s men’s side will return to home action this weekend when they host West Virginia and Alabama A&M in the UNCW/Courtyard by Marriott Classic.

The tournament will force the Lady Seahawks to continue on their travels as they will face Furman and South Carolina in Clemson, S.C. at the Carolinas Cup Friday and Sunday.