Seahawks come up big in Virginia

Jim Dallke

The UNC Wilmington women’s soccer team bounced back from a tough 1-0 loss to William & Mary in their conference opener to hit an impressive three-game road win streak. The stretch vaulted the Seahawks into a three-way tie for second in the Colonial Athletic Association as they trail league leaders Hofstra by one game.

With the perfect road trip, the Seahawks improved to 7-5 on the season and 3-1 in the CAA, as they sit level on the table with William & Mary and James Madison.

The Seahawks opened the grueling road trip with a 3-1 victory over Old Dominion. Senior Ashley Myers struck first for the Seahawks, latching onto a ball from sophomore Erin Pardini for her third goal of the season.

Following an Old Dominion equalizer, the Monarchs handed the lead right back to the Seahawks with an own goal from a UNCW cross. The Seahawks remained in control for the rest of the match, and freshman Stephanie Rose put it beyond doubt in the 84th minute with her fifth goal of the season to close the scoreline at 3-1.

Rose’s goal kept her at the top of the Seahawk scoring list in only her first season.

The Seahawks backed up the impressive performance at Old Dominion with a surprising 1-0 overtime win at James Madison Friday. The Dukes, who were ranked 25th in Soccer America’s preseason poll, were picked to finish at the top of the CAA this season.

A defensive stalemate, the match went scoreless through regulation before junior midfielder Megan Novak netted the winner in the 96th minute with her first goal of the season. Rose and junior Chelsea Godbout were credited with the assist.

The Seahawk defense faced a daunting task in shutting down the Dukes’ offense, traditionally one of the top attacks in the league. Freshman goalkeeper Caitlin Hunter posted 10 saves in the first shutout of her career as the Dukes outshot the Seahawks 19-10.

The Seahawks wrapped up their rampant run through Virginia with a convincing 4-1 victory over Virginia Commonwealth Sunday. Senior forward Erica Rodgers notched her first two goals of the season with an early strike and second-half penalty kick. Rodgers was joined on the scoresheet by Novak and Myers.

UNCW began the VCU match just as they finished at JMU: scoring.

It took the Seahawks less than four minutes to put the Rams in a hole as Rodgers knocked home from close range following a feed from sophomore Kelly Dodd. Novak doubled the lead before the half when she finished from Rose’s lay-off.

Rodgers boosted the score to 3-0 with her penalty kick in the 77th minute before the Rams broke the shutout just seven minutes from time. However, the Seahawks would hit the net last as Myers headed Pardini’s cross home just nine seconds after VCU’s goal.

With the challenge of their Virginia trek now behind them, the Seahawks will be rewarded with a much needed four-game home stand. Matches against Towson, George Mason, league leaders Hofstra and Northeastern will be crucial in making sure the Seahawks remain in the top four and earn a bid to the CAA Championships.

The Seahawks open the stretch of home matches Friday, Oct. 9 when they take on Towson. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.