Wizards return to UNCW

Ben Jones

For the second consecutive year, the Washington Wizards will hold their preseason training camp at UNC Wilmington.

From Tuesday, October 2 until Wednesday, October 10, last year’s worst NBA team will use the facilities on Wilmington’s campus as a training ground in preparation for the 2001-02 season.

The team will bring new head coach Doug Collins, new players including the top pick in the NBA draft, and a new outlook toward the upcoming season.

UNCW’s Department of Athletics is excited about the Wizards’ return. “We are delighted to have the Wizards come back to Wilmington,” said Joe Browning, UNCW’s Sports Information Director. “They recognize that we have excellent facilities, and we are pleased to partner with them again with this endeavor that will undoubtedly bring tremendous exposure to the school again.”

Assistant Director of Athletics for Business Affairs Greg Dalton echoed Browning’s sentiments. “Our name will be publicized across the U.S.,” Dalton said. “Opportunities like this do not come along very often. This is our chance to show off our great university, its facilities, and even our city.”

Unlike last year, the training camp will take place the week before Fall Break. However, the camp will use Trask Coliseum as its main practice building, instead of the Student Recreation Center like last year. This will allow students uninterrupted use of the SRC.

Wizards practice will be closed to students and the public, which will force additional security at Trask during the camp. Students and season-ticket holders will have an opportunity to see the team in action in a similar fashion to last year. The team will hold an inter-squad scrimmage at Trask Coliseum Tuesday, Oct. 9.

The scrimmage will be the first sporting event held on the new floor, which is currently being installed.

Joe Simon, Assistant Director of Athletics for Facilities indicated he is thrilled with the timing of the camp. “The floor will be ready in time for the Wizards’ camp in October. It certainly will give UNCW great national exposure – especially if Michael Jordan comes back.”

Jordan’s name continues to surface as a possible Wizards roster member. Recently, he was given permission to sell his portion of the team. Players in the NBA are not allowed to own any percentage of a franchise. In addition, he has become a daily user of the team’s practice gymnasium in the Washington, D.C. area.

Before moving the camp to Wilmington, the team held its preseason training for seven straight years at Shepherd College in Shepherdstown, W.Va.