Despite injuries, women’s soccer presses onward

Jessie Nunery

Every team has them. Who’s gonna do the scoring? Where is the leadership coming from? How are you going to play without so and so? These are some of the preseason questions that most coaches are asked in any sport. But for UNCW women’s soccer coach Paul Cairney these questions may be more important than ever.

UNCW begins its 2001-02 campaign with major holes to fill. The team will be without two of its top three goal scorers from last year. Sophomore Tracy McManus and senior midfielder Michelle Doherty will both miss the season due to injuries. Last year, the two combined for nine goals and six assists. Also, literally adding insult to injury, the Seahawks are not sure when senior midfielder Ashley Andringa will return from a knee injury of her own.

“Ashley is in her latter stages of recovery, she may return in late September,” Cairney said. Andringa has begun practicing with the team but her status is questionable.

Although the team will suffer in some ways from each injury, the loss of Doherty seems to be hardest pill to swallow for the Seahawks.

“No one,” Cairney said, after being asked who could replace Doherty. “She has been our most dynamic player the last three seasons. You can’t replace that.”

However, instead of hanging their heads, the Seahawks are moving ahead. They have collectively come into the season in terrific physical shape, leaving more time to focus on soccer, rather than on fitness. Beginning last spring, members of the team trained with athletes from the volleyball and basketball squads, in preparation for the season. UNCW strength and conditioning coach, Jimmy Mayew, was instrumental in getting the players into shape.

“He’s helped a lot,” said senior goalkeeper Meghan Fitzsimmons. Mayew also gave the squad their motto for the season, “Expect to Win.” How the Seahawks follow up on that motto will begin at the defensive end.

“I still believe defense wins games,” Cairney said. “For us that means that defense starts at the top of the field.”

The Seahawks are a team not likely to forget that concept. They lost seven games by one goal last year, leaving them to believe that success is not far away.

“We need to stay focused,” Fitzsimmons said. “We tend to play in spurts and we need to extend our spurts to last the whole game.”

Some of that focus will have to come from a young core of players. The Seahawks 25-man roster features ten freshmen and six sophomores.

“We have a lot of freshmen that will do well, but the just need the experience,” said senior Rachel Urban, who moves from midfield to the back line this year.

Freshmen who are doing well early include forward Sarah Marshall, defenseman Erin Gonzalez and forward Kristine Mengle. A pair of sophomores will also step in and provide scoring punch. Team Rookie of the Year Megan Kelly and Ann Weaver saw significant playing time last year and will see the field just as much this year.

The schedule will not be an easy one for the Seahawks. Conference power William and Mary returns a strong squad, as does James Madison, who the Seahawks lost to twice by one goal last year.

Improving on a 1-7 conference record is just one goal for the Seahawks. Urban and Fitzsimmons, along with four other seniors have goals of their own.

“I want us to make it to the finals and last more than one night in Virginia Beach,” Urban said.

Right now, Cairney believes it’s to early to put a gauge on how successful the team will be, but the Seahawks push ahead nonetheless, expecting to win.