Women’s soccer eases past Chanticleers in home-opener

Morgan Starling, Staff Writer

WILMINGTON, North Carolina – UNCW women’s soccer (2-1-0) coasted past Coastal Carolina (6-6-0) in their home opener Sunday afternoon with a 5-0 win in the UNCW Soccer Stadium. 

The last time the Seahawks scored five or more goals in a game was October 3rd, 2019, when they beat Charleston 5-0.  

Redshirt junior defender Grace Lynn-Lato put the Seahawks on the board with her first career goal in the 41st minute after a pass from senior midfielder Audrey Harding. Harding then scored one of her own after a pass from junior defender Carey Allard in the 54th minute. Lynn-Lato returned Harding’s favor from the first half with a pass to give Harding her second goal of the game just minutes after her first, followed by a 70th minute score by freshman forward Hayley Magnussen, assisted by freshman defender Kara Mills. Junior midfielder Alysa McLaughlin put the nail in the coffin with a goal off a free kick from 20 yards out in the 78th minute, also the first goal of her career. 

UNCW outshot the Chanticleers 16 to two, and only had to make one save. The win makes UNCW 11-1-0 all time against Coastal Carolina.   

UNCW will return to the field on Saturday, March 6 with a home match against the Duke Blue Devils at 2 p.m.