Seahawks outlast 49ers

Morgan Starling, Staff Writer

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina – UNCW men’s soccer (2-0) won their road opener against Charlotte (0-1-1) 3-2 Saturday afternoon at Transamerica Field.

The Seahawks jumped out to an early lead with a goal off of a penalty kick by junior midfielder Athit Berg in the 17th minute. UNCW then increased their lead when senior midfielder Tsubasa Takada scored just before halftime in the 42nd minute. Senior defender Alejandro Saez then assisted sophomore forward Jalen Anderson in scoring UNCW’s final goal in the 59th minute.

The 49ers tried to come roaring back with two quick goals in the 61st and 62nd minutes, though the scoring stopped there for both teams. The first goal was by junior forward Alex Willis, and the second was by junior forward Preston Popp, assisted by redshirt junior midfielder Chance Pellerin.

Redshirt junior goalkeeper Daniel Kuzemka tallied three saves for the 49ers, and sophomore goalkeeper Gabriel Perrotta tallied two saves for the Seahawks.

Despite the loss, the 49ers took almost twice as many shots on goal, with 16 to UNCW’s nine, and had 11 corner kicks. Charlotte also committed 17 fouls, two of which resulted in yellow cards for redshirt senior defender Patrick Hogan and junior Ethan Sawdon. The Seahawks only committed 11 fouls, with one yellow card given to junior midfielder Dominic Toone.

UNCW has now won 27 consecutive games when scoring three or more goals, and all five goals this season have been scored by different players.

UNCW will travel to Durham on Friday, Feb. 26 to take on the Duke Blue Devils (2-7-1) at 7 p.m.