Saez and Perrotta honored as CAA players of the week

After a successful week at home, two Seahawks have been honored by the CAA

Zachary Kilby/The Seahawk

Alejandro Saez (18) battles with Old Dominion defender Jose Olmos (4) during UNCW’s matchup with the Monarchs on October 9, 2019 at UNCW Soccer Stadium

Zachary Kilby, Contributing Writer

The Colonial Athletic Association has recognized UNC Wilmington junior defender Alejandro Saez and freshman goalkeeper Gabriel Perrotta with weekly awards. Perrotta earned Defensive Player of the Week while teammate Alejandro Saez collected Offensive Player of the Week. 

Both players helped the Seahawks capture two consecutive victories last week against the College of Charleston and Old Dominion. The two teammates have posted great statistical numbers so far this season; helping UNCW boast a current threegame winning streak and an undefeated record in conference play. 

Perrotta carries a 7-2-1 record as the Seahawks’ goalkeeper with a 0.97 goals against average to boot, ranking him second in the CAA. 

“Gabriel played a key role in our two shutout wins and played with real presence and confidence for us,” head coach Aidan Heaney told UNCW athletic communications. “As the last line of defense, I know he shares this honor with his teammates who have been working tirelessly in front of him.” 

On the other side of the ball, Saez had a breakout game against Old Dominion where he tallied his first two career goals and led the Hawks to a 2-0 victory over the Monarchs. 

“Alejandro had a major impact last week with a couple of key goals against Old Dominion and followed it up with another strong showing against Charleston,” Heaney told UNCW athletic communications. “He has been working extremely hard for our side, so I am happy to see the hard work pay off for him.” 

The Seahawks and their two bright stars will look to continue their hot streak this week when they host Coastal Carolina on Tuesday, Oct. 15 at 7 p.m. Co-leader of the CAA James Madison will then host UNCW for a Saturday showdown between both conference leaders on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m.