Seahawks close out first weekend of conference play with a win

UNCW welcomed its 2009 women’s soccer team back to the Port City

Erin Howard/The Seahawk

UNCW women’s soccer pregame vs. Northeastern on Sep. 29, 2019

Erin Howard, Contributing Writer

Alumni of the 2009 UNC Wilmington women’s soccer team had two reasons to celebrate Sunday afternoonThe former players returned to UNCW Soccer Stadium in honor of the 10-year-anniversary of their championship season, and they got to watch the Seahawks get a win of their own, defeating Northeaster2-0 in their first weekend of conference play.  

Head coach Chris Neal saw the former Seahawks’ return as an inspiration to his team.  

“I think it’s important for the girls now to see and hopefully that inspires them to go and get a ring of their own,” said Neal.  

The Seahawks looked like a championship caliber team early, forcing the Huskies’ goalie out of her box and out of the game with a red card. Redshirt sophomore Morgan Nanni took the penalty shot and scored over a 6-man-wall.  

“I knew I had to get that goal and keep the momentum in our favor,” said Nanni. “We set the tone for the game on that play.” 

The Seahawks dominated for the remainder of the first half, only allowing Northeastern (4-7, 1-1 CAA) one shot on goal. 

Northeastern came out in the second half looking to even the score, getting multiple shots on goal, but were never able to score. The Seahawks picked up their second goal, scored by freshman forward Jordan Faveri, and the Huskies never found a way to respond.  

With the win against Northeastern, the Seahawks improve their record to 5-4 (1-1 CAA).