Seahawks win home opener

Men’s soccer continues it undefeated start with win against Jacksonville

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

No. 11 Ben Fisher

Noah Powers, Assistant Sports Editor

No. 13 UNC Wilmington men’s soccer furthered its undefeated start to the season with a 4-0 victory over Jacksonville (0-3) in its home opener Thursday night.

The first half was either team’s ballgame as both failed to score. The half was led by Emil Elveroth and Ben Fisher who had three shots apiece.

Going into the half, head coach Aidan Heaney’s message to the team revolved around continuing to play with composure.

“I thought we dominated possession, created some really good chances,” said Heaney. “I was very pleased with how we played [in the first half].”

The Seahawks opened the second half strong with three goals before the 58-minute mark. The first of the three was scored by a Jacksonville defender who deflected a shot past the goalkeeper for an own goal.

Sophomore defender Drew Rabil was able to put the Seahawks up by a pair of goals just past the 54-minute mark after an assist from redshirt-junior defender Danny Reynolds. This was followed by a goal from freshman forward Cesar Cruz at the 57:07 mark following an assist from junior forward Phillip Goodrum.

The nail in the coffin was placed by junior midfielder Tom Isola after an assist from sophomore forward Emil Elveroth at the 76:52 mark, when he scored the fourth goal of the game for UNCW—his first of the season.

“It feels great,” said Isola. “It was just a little tap-in, but they all count. I’m so delighted.”

Though the Seahawks were able to shutout Jacksonville, the team had 21 shots this evening.

“Cleaner in front of the goal,” said Heaney. “We created enough chances to score more than four tonight. The details, the fine details need to be cleaner.”

The Seahawks will continue their 2018 campaign on Sep. 3 with a match at Longwood University.