From the ACC to the CAA

Marty Simpkins | Contributing Writer

Editor’s Note: The Seahawk will meet with UNCW players and coaches throughout the year for Q & A sessions. To nominate a player or coach for an interview, email [email protected].

The UNC Wilmington men’s soccer team has a new addition to its squad with the arrival of Virginia Tech transfer Adama Wakai. Wakai plays the forward position and is a sophomore from Charlotte, N.C. In his freshman year with the Hokies, Wakai played eight games with one start and scored one goal against Howard University. In high school, he was the conference offensive MVP in both his junior year and senior year at Hopewell High School.

The Seahawk: Why did you transfer from Virginia Tech to UNCW? Why move from the ACC to the CAA?

Adama Wakai: I wasn’t learning anything soccer wise at Virginia Tech. The coach wasn’t that good and I decided to come over here because UNCW is real good at soccer and the coach here is well known, everyone talks about how good of a coach he is. I love soccer and I felt like I should go somewhere else to become a better soccer player. I pretty much came here to be a better soccer player and to get a better education.

TS: What’s the atmosphere like here at UNCW being an athletic transfer student from a more well-known school?

AW: It’s pretty fun. I like it here and a lot of people from where I’m from in Charlotte go here so they get to come watch my games and that’s another reason why I moved from Virginia Tech. I was pretty far away from my parents to watch me play also. The atmosphere is great, because I have a lot of friends here supporting me.

TS: What brought you to Virginia Tech in the first place if your hometown is Charlotte?

AW: I was getting recruited out of high school and I was one of the top players recruited. I went to Virginia Tech and the soccer team showed me a really good time. They were helping me out at the time so I committed there.

TS: Do you see yourself becoming a professional soccer player?

AW: I definitely think I can. That’s the main reason why I switched schools, because I felt like I wasn’t learning anything at Virginia Tech and I really wanted to get my soccer level up. As the season went by, I started hating soccer at Virginia Tech and that’s the first time I ever got that feeling and I’ve been playing soccer since I was five.

TS: Who’s your favorite professional soccer player?

AW: I’ve got to say Steven Gerrard from Liverpool. He’s my favorite soccer player because he works really hard off the ball. He’s also the captain and he’s always trying to support his teammates. He always scores a lot of goals.

TS: How do you think you will impact this soccer team specifically?

AW: I definitely think I will bring my speed, and my ability to break down the defensive line of the other team, because that’s what I do best to go out and score goals. I haven’t scored yet, but I’m definitely going to try to score and try to win conference this year.