Midnite Madness electrifies UNCW crowd

Tyler Franceschini | Staff Writer

The bleachers in Trask Coliseum were packed Friday night for the beginning of new UNC Wilmington men’s and women’s basketball seasons. Students showed up excited and ready for the new Seahawk teams to unveil what they had to offer in the upcoming basketball season. They did not disappoint, showing off a ton of athleticism and potential during Midnite Madness. The night was started when the women’s team came out on the floor dancing with the UNCW dance team.

A lacking area last season of the men’s basketball team was consistent shooting. That wasn’t an issue for returning guard Keegan Pace who lit up the hoop with outstanding shooting that won him the three-point shooting competition.

The most anticipated event of the night, though, was the slam dunk contest. Freshman Luke Hager started the competition using Drew Kachmarik, 5-year-old son of associate head coach Jamie Kachmarik, as a prop. Don’t worry concerned parents, the kid was fine. Hager successfully slammed it down over the child and his electric toy Jeep.

One of the more notable dunks was a combination play between sophomore sharpshooter Tanner Milson and Hager. Milson threw the ball from the second level of the stadium where it then bounced under the goal, and was dunked by Hager. The creativity got the crowd going. 

A few players showed incredible athletic ability, but the one that stuck out was Freddie Jackson. The 6-foot-4-inch freshman showed tremendous jumping ability by leaping from just past the free throw line to slam it down. The crowd thoroughly enjoyed it, and Jackson earned the slam dunk title.

What does Midnite Madness do for teams? It gets them fired up and ready to play their upcoming season, especially for their home games.

What does Midnite Madness do for the fans? It gives them a first look at the new team they’ll be cheering for and it gives them something to get excited for in the next few weeks. The Seahawks hope the energy from the event will carry over throughout the year.