CAA Blood Drive brings in donors, needed blood

Men’s varsity basketball players (from left to right): Chris Flemmings, JaQuel Richmond, Matt Elmore, and Ambrose Mosley pose together as they help distribute refreshments to donors during Thursday’s CAA Blood Drive.

Tess Rogers | Contributing Writer | @TheSeahawk

The 15th annual Colonial Athletic Association Blood Drive took place Thursday in Trask Coliseum.

Student-athletes from each of UNC Wilmington’s varsity teams participated in the event. As volunteers, the student-athletes provided aid to the American Red Cross staff by taking in donors, distributing refreshments and operating the canteen.

This annual blood drive, supported by the student-athletes of UNCW and the CAA, works to bridge the gap between donor need and participation.

Communication with Red Cross staff members revealed that this is the largest of the many blood drives on UNCW’s campus throughout each school year with an estimated average of 200 donors, compared to 60 in the various smaller drives.

Additionally, student-athletes spent two weeks leading up to the event promoting donor participation and setting up appointments through tabling across campus.

“Only four percent of the eligible population donates blood, while a transfusion is needed every two seconds,” said Jennifer Port, local district manager of the American Red Cross.

An estimated donor total taken halfway through the drive suggests success in reaching the predetermined goal of 204 donors.