New heads of UNCW strength and conditioning program bulk-up expectations

Ben Fleming/Twitter

Ben Fleming, left, spots UNCW basketball’s Jordan Talley during a workout on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2017.

Vanessa Dickerson, Contributing Writer

UNCW Athletics started off their year with many athletes being noticed by the Colonial Athletic Association, in partial thanks to Ben Fleming and Kyle Gilbert joining the strength and conditioning staff. This summer, Fleming was named the director of strength and conditioning, while Gilbert has been named the assistant coach of strength and conditioning.

Fleming, originally from Florida, played Division II soccer at Wingate University. He pursued his master’s at the University of Central Florida and was offered a job there as he finished his degree.

Fleming gained his experience over his experience in a similar position at UCF, Kansas State, and Ole Miss. His veteran status in this position is one of the many changes UNCW Athletics hopes to bring to the program.

Kyle Gilbert started his career with the Knights at UCF as a graduate intern. Gilbert worked his way to leading the track and field, cross country, and cheer programs with their strength training. He eventually became involved with most varsity sports offered by the university.

At UNCW, Fleming primarily works with men’s basketball, baseball, and men’s and women’s golf. While running these teams, Fleming leads the entire strength and conditioning department. Gilbert works with women’s basketball, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s tennis, as well as track & field and cross-country.

Both coaches have specific visions of where they want to see UNCW Athletics to go.

“Push our vision — what do we do to take UNCW to the next level?” said Fleming. “We promote our athletes a lot. We are getting really big on social media. We are trying to show the community our sports and our brand.”

Gilbert hinted that his long-time partnership with Fleming has helped them learn how to best approach training their athletes.

“Coming up through the same coaching tree, we make our programs very demanding and every day the athletes know that a lot is going to be asked of them from work load to the little mental wrinkles we add into either our conditioning or team competitions,” Gilbert said.

Fleming and Gilbert both feel as though the athletes and the UNCW brand will see the payoff after the hard work is put in by both the athletes and the coaching staff.

The overall goal for Fleming and Gilbert? Winning championships, of course.

“We are in a results-based business and winning is always the goal,” said Gilbert.

Winning championships takes more than just lifting weights in the gym and going to practice. Fleming and the strength staff are trying to promote an overall healthy lifestyle.

“It’s going to the grocery store with them, talking about nutrition, it’s conditioning for a half hour and weight room for an hour. And then we go to practice too,” he said.

Fleming and Gilbert are looking to educate their athletes on the importance of what is healthy to put in their body, as well as train them in their respective sports.

As for their adjustment to life in Wilmington, Fleming’s south Florida roots means he is loving the familiarity of living in a beach town.

Gilbert has a special tie to UNCW. Gilbert’s grandfather, Hugh Henry Fox, was the first student to receive his Associate of Arts Degree from Wilmington College on April 2, 1949. Fox served as the first student body president and vice-president of the first student legislature.