Career Center to hold Real World Survival workshop

Linda Newell | Staff Writer

Real World Survival, sponsored by the UNCW Career Center, will cover a wide range of topics including budgeting, paying off debt and important information about insurance matters.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, unemployment is currently at 9.2 percent. These rates tend to be lower for those who hold a college degree yet higher for young people according to Career Development Counselor Mark Werbeach.

“About 80 percent of jobs are not advertised,” said Werbeach. The Career Center can help students increase their odds of finding a job.

Using services offered by the Career Center such as resume writing, practicing interview skills and preparing for graduate school will help students increase the odds of achieving professional goals after graduation.

A wide variety of workshops are also offered to students. Events like Resume Coach and the Internship and Job Fair will be held later this semester.

All services offered by the Career Center are free and available to all current students and alumni.

The Real World Survival workshop will take place Feb. 23 from 3:30 to 4:45 p.m. in the Fisher Student Union in the Long Leaf Pine Room, located on the first floor. Content is especially useful to seniors, as they will be dealing with these issues after graduation.