Dub Idol showcases seahawk talents

Lizz Wood | Staff Writer

UNCW students came together Thursday night to watch 10 contestants battle it out for the title of Dub Idol and $500. There were three group numbers the contestants performed together to a sold out audience in Kenan auditorium, followed by individual performances.

The finalists were chosen by co-chairs junior Jordan Winn and senior Samantha Daughtry, who had the responsibility of narrowing down over 60 entries into 10 contestants representing seven of the eight campus areas, and off campus.

“When picking finalists you want to be fair in your choices, while still keeping in mind that you want to present a quality performance,” said Winn.

The co-chairs didn’t put on the show alone, however. They had five active committee members putting in time doing advertising and show preparations as well as 15 volunteers setting up the event.

“It was an unbelievable feeling to be a part of something this big and I look forward to seeing such a great tradition continue in the future,” said Winn. “We are thankful to be a part of something so dear to HRL (Housing and Residence Life) and can’t wait for Season Six.”

Performances ranged from hip hop and rap to country and classic rock. The contestants included senior Cameron Doyle, sophomore Emilie Ferreira, junior Monet Hardison, sophomore Jeanelle Johnson, senior Jordan Sasser, junior Drew Smith, junior Josh Smith (no relation), freshman Brittany Steed, sophomore David Taylor and freshman Aubrey White. All solos were well received by the audience, which counted for 25 percent of the final score. The other 75 percent was up to the judges: Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Pat Leonard, Director of Housing and Residence Life Brad Reid, and Marina De Ratmiroff from the Department of Music.

As the show came to a close, the audience texted in their votes, there was a performance by the High Seas men’s a capella group, and the winners were announced:

Second runner up was taken by Monet Hardison, who took home $200, first runner up and $300 was given to Drew Smith, and the winner of the title of Dub Idol season five and $500 was Jordan Sasser.

“Getting first runner up was pretty awesome,” said Drew Smith. “I didn’t know if I would win, but I felt good about my performance when I was done. I had lots of fun and it was crazy the support I got.”