UNCW announces Multi-million ‘Soaring to Greatness’ campaign

Amber Hughes | News Editor

UNCW announced last Friday, Feb. 18, the official launch of a multi-million fundraising campaign for the university called Soaring to Greatness.

$57.7 million has already been raised. The campaign goal is $65 million.

The campaign is a fundraising effort focused on increasing private contributions to the university in priority areas. By Jan. 31, UNCW had already raised 89 percent of the goal. This was during the “quiet” phase of the campaign, which began in July of 2005. It is a common practice in higher education campaigns to raise almost 70 percent of the goal before the campaign goes public, according to a university press release.

The campaign will officially end in December 2012.

“We could not be more pleased and grateful for the way our exceptionally loyal donors and alumni have stepped forward to support the university in this campaign,” said Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo in a press release. “They share our vision for UNCW and its students, and they are making an investment in the university’s continued success.”

The Soaring to Greatness campaign is raising funds for the following areas: student excellence, academic excellence, faculty excellence, regional and global engagement and the annual fund and athletics.

The main priority for the university is increasing the number of student scholarships. Donors in the past five years have created more than 200 scholarships at UNCW, which doubled the number available to help students complete their degrees.

As part of the Soaring to Greatness campaign, the university received two major gifts. One of the gifts came from Sylvia H. and George Rountree III. It is one of the largest gifts that UNCW has ever received in support of the athletics programs, and it will be used for improvements to Trask Coliseum. More about this gift can be read in the Seahawk Sports Section.

The other gift, given by brothers John A. “Sandy” McNeill Jr. and Ronald B. “Ronnie” McNeill and their wives, Deborah S. McNeill and Cynthia J. McNeill, is the largest outright gift in UNCW’s history. It will primarily benefit the School of Nursing. A portion of the gift will also support academic programs in the Cameron School of Business.

“We believe in UNCW and its mission,” said Sandy McNeill in a press release. “It is a great part of eastern North Carolina, and it certainly has helped fulfill the educational mission for college-level studies in this state and beyond. It is a fantastic institution.”

The Board of Trustees voted to rename the nursing building as McNeill Hall to honor the family.

“UNC Wilmington and the Board of Trustees are extremely appreciative of the generous donations the McNeill and Rountree families have given to UNCW,” BOT chairwoman Wendy Murphy said. “To me, it shows that they believe in this university and in our commitment to our students and this region. I hope their example will inspire others not only to share in that belief, but also to share their support in helping UNCW continue to soar to greatness.”