UNCW showcases new energy upgrades

Amber Hughes | News Editor

UNCW showcased new mechanical and electrical upgrades to the campus on Wednesday. These upgrades will save the state $8.9 million. Chancellor DePaolo and Brady Services President Jim Brady led the tour of the newly renovated campus facilities which include $4.5 million in upgrades, such as energy-efficient boilers and solar tubes.

“Thank you for taking this risk and being a part of this cutting edge technology,” Brady said to DePaolo. “You’re helping tax payers and improving the quality of student life. I commend you.”

Brady Services is a Trane franchise that provides high-efficiency HVAC systems and comprehensive building solutions in North Carolina. The company began the upgrades to UNCW in July 2010. The performance contract between UNCW and Brady Services guarantees at least $333,000 in annual energy savings. This will save a total of $8.9 million over the 20-year agreement.

Trane assumes the financial risk of the project, which allows UNCW to use future energy savings to pay up-front costs. The $4.5 million cost of the upgrades was originally financed at 4.97 percent, but it has recently been refinanced a full point lower.

“At the end of the year all the utilities and expenses are adjusted, and we’ll know how much total is saved,” said Mike Gauss, spokesperson for Brady Services. “If the university has not saved at least $330,000, then UNCW gets a check from Trane for the difference.”

Energy savings audits and financial reconciliation will be conducted annually.

The improvements to the campus include day lighting solar tubes added to Randall Library, upgrades designed to increase energy efficiency and reduce water consumption including HVAC upgrades, automated lighting and added connections to central plants.

The central plant on campus previously had four boilers. It now has only three that are more energy efficient.

“Those four boilers were functional but not efficient,” Gauss said.

New buildings, including King Hall and Randall Library, have been tied to the central plant. Westside is tied to the chilled water in Alderman Hall, and the chilled water in Kenan Hall is tied to Deloach Hall, potentially saving energy and money.

“Some of the buildings needed more work than others,” said Mark Lanier, assistant to the chancellor. “Randall was one of those buildings. But now it is high on modernization.”

One of the upgrades to Randall is sky lighting. The lights are powered through domes on the roof of the library. These lights have motion sensors, and they will turn off if there is no motion.

UNCW is the first in the 17-campus UNC System to include day lighting as an energy saving strategy.

The sky lighting is one of the chancellor’s favorite upgrades. Overall, she said that she is excited about all the environmentally sound changes to the campus.

“This is a great way for us to upgrade our systems.” DePaolo said. “We have guaranteed cost savings, and it creates a better learning environment for the students. I’m happy that UNCW is a leader in these energy efficient changes.”