Annual Communication Studies Day facilitates discussion and interaction

Gillian Perry | Assistant Lifestyles Editor

Networking, panel discussions, social events and a fashion show are all on the agenda for the 2011 Annual Communication Studies Day. The yearly tradition brings faculty, students and alumni together for a day of making connections in the communications studies world. The event, which is sponsored by the Communication Studies Department, will take place April 1 from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.

The panel discussion and networking session that kick off the event mix alumni and students in an effort to educate communication studies majors about topics such as internship opportunities, interview processes, resumes and other relevant material.

“I believe this is a wonderful opportunity to learn about their experiences and obstacles in the real world and how they got to the point they are today,” said junior communication studies major Courtney O’Sullivan. “It’s a low-key environment that students can enter with peers and familiar professors to openly ask questions pertaining to their interests in the communication studies field and the challenges it takes to get there.”

After panel discussions, students will have the opportunity to ask questions and talk to specific alumni about their interest in the communication studies field. Later in the day, the Dress for Success fashion show will feature examples of interview and business casual attire modeled by communication studies majors.

“The Dress for Success Fashion Show is hosted by the Communication Studies Society (CSS) and has three event co-coordinators,” said senior Natalie Costantino, co-coordinator of the fashion show. “Nishtha Sharma, Sara Teeter and myself all worked together to create a show that is entertaining and visually teaches students proper workplace attire for both an interview and a casual setting.”

“Students can benefit from the event by developing networking skills at the networking sessions; they can learn about dressing properly at the fashion show, and they can grow by hearing advice from alumni,” said Communication Studies Society advisor Jennifer Chin. “Everyone has a unique story about what life was like after graduation, and hopefully our current students can be inspired and motivated by what they hear from people and how they got to where they are now.”

Communication Studies Day will come to a close with a social at Fox and Hound restaurant. The social will offer an opportunity for students, faculty and alumni to mingle in a relaxed atmosphere.

“This year’s COM Studies Day is about having a ‘career intervention’ and focuses on the transition from college student to workplace professional and the motivation it takes to get there,” said Costantino.

For more information and the official schedule of events, visit www.uncw.edu/com.