Undergraduate Research and Creativity Showcase

Gillian Perry | Assistant Lifestyles Editor

Over 150 posters have lined the first floor of Randall Library since Monday, April 18 as part of the 6th annual Undergraduate Research and Creativity Showcase. The showcase is presented annually through the Center for Support of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships as an opportunity for students to present their research, directed independent study or honors projects.

According to CSURF and Honors Scholars Program Director Dr. Kate Bruce, the showcase has grown considerably over the years. The first year of the showcase there were 35 posters, and it has evolved over the years to include the occasional musical performance and, of course, more posters and presentations.

April 18 was the opening reception for the showcase. Student presenters shared their work with fellow students, faculty and staff, and their research will remain on display until the end of the semester.

“An important step in the research process is to disseminate information to others,” said Bruce. “This is a critical step that the showcase features. It helps students see how to present work in an organized way to people from different backgrounds.”

To enter the showcase, students had to submit an abstract approved by a faculty supervisor. They then put their research into poster format and prepare for the presentation during the initial reception.

“It was a really good feeling to be able to walk through the showcase and see my poster and know that someone has read about my research,” said senior Kellie Kessler. “Seeing it put together let me know that all my hard work is paying off.”