English in Action showcase brings English to life

Jessica Ferrer | Contributing Writer

Majoring in English does not mean a life dedicated to reading books or writing essays, and the semi-annual English in Action showcase is back again to put that stereotype to rest.

“There are some negative stereotypes about English and English as a major. It’s not all reading and papers,” said English professor and event coordinator Michelle Manning.

Manning started the showcase in 2008. She was teaching professional writing and wanted to share the work her students were producing.

“They were doing great projects for area non-profits and UNCW agencies that no one knew about. It started as a way to show the department what we did and to invite and thank the clients,” said Manning.

Eventually the showcase came to include other classes in the English department as it gained support. Only those affiliated with the English department can share their work, but now the showcase includes more than just class work.

“Now it includes undergraduate, graduate, all English programs, tracks, faculty achievements, Wentworth Scholars, organizations, and department affiliates such as the library and the writing center,” said Manning.

Last year Manning said there were about 43 participants in the showcase, and there will be about the same number in this year’s showcase. The showcase is held in Randall Library every year, although Manning did say that she hoped to one day use bigger venue such as Burney Center to allow for more people to attend the event and allow for more participants.

If one wishes to participate in the event and is affiliated with the English department, all they have to do is email Manning an English in Action reservation form by Wednesday Nov. 30 at noon. Manning said that students are always glad they participated in the showcase.

“We foster critical thinking, soft skills, communication and adapting content for different audiences and purposes. How can these skills and abilities not help someone be successful and marketable?” said Manning.

This year’s showcase will be held Dec. 2 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. in the library. The showcase is open to not only the UNCW community, but also the Wilmington community. There will be refreshments for those who attend.

The event will be dedicated to Dr. Kathy Rugoff, who recently passed away. In addition to being a professor, Rugoff was the English department’s photographer and the photographer for the English in Action showcase.