Bo Dean leaves UNCW for position at Cameron Art Museum

Sasha Johnson | News Editor

The program manager of the Honors Scholars Program at UNCW, L.S. “Bo” Dean, Jr., is resigning from his position at the university. Starting Nov. 25 he will serve as director of development at the Cameron Art Museum.

As director of development, Dean will be pursuing a passion of his that has grown over his 13 years at UNCW—connecting people. He will be responsible for marketing the museum, raising money and forging community partnerships, as well as bringing educational opportunities to the museum.

Dean condensed the job description into one word: storyteller.

“The Cameron Art Museum is like UNCW in that there are so many treasures to expose people to,” said Dean. Working for the museum, Dean will have more opportunities to branch out and interact with the community, something that is very important to him.

“It’s very difficult to leave something as wonderful as this,” Dean said of the Honors Scholars Program, “but it’s the logical next step.”

Dean started his career at UNCW as a program assistant in the Watson School of Education. After just a year he joined the small, tight-knit team in the Honors Scholars Program, a team that he now calls his family.

Reflecting on his experience working for Honors, Dean said his mantra was: “Honors is for everybody that wants it.” Dean found particular joy in watching the students who didn’t think of themselves in that capacity find success, he said.

Sunday, Dean included in a blog entry a little about his experience with students over the years and his continuing commitment to them. He wrote: “They are truly our hope, and I have literally thousands whom I will never forget and will always be about the business of giving back to. There will always be a way to link what I do now to students, to resource the best for them, to make the best for all. We grow as communities because of the way we educate our youth and help them move to adulthood. That will always be a thread in everything I do.”

Along with the numerous students he has mentored and helped financially through the establishment of endowed and annual scholarships, Dean closely treasures his colleagues that he works alongside day after day—his family.

To illustrate just what he meant by “family,” Dean pointed to a picture of himself at his colleague’s daughter’s wedding.

Speaking specifically of Dr. Kate Bruce, the director of the Honors Scholars Program, Dean said: “I’ve been the longest with my director. She is a personal hero and a great friend. If anybody is credited for the Honors College, it’s her.”

In an email to Honors students and faculty, Bruce wrote: “[Bo Dean] will be able to use so many of his skills in this new position, and it is a really good opportunity for him. So we all wish him the best. But we are so sorry to see him leave UNCW and honors.”

Dean’s last day at UNCW is Nov. 23.