OWS Call to Action forum provides answers for students, faculty, community members

Corey Strickland | Staff Writer

Occupy UNCW, in conjunction with Occupy Wilmington, held a call to action forum in the Azalea Coast Room in the Fisher Student Union Nov. 17. A panel of six discussed the problems and possible solutions of the Occupy Wall Street movement before a crowded room of students, faculty and community members.

The forum opened with a brief introduction of the OWS movement by Stephen McNamee, a sociology professor at UNCW. “As far as social movements go, this one has been very spontaneous. It’s a grassroots movement that has hit a nerve out there,” he said.

McNamee has written two books, “The Meritocracy Myth” and “Inheritance and Wealth in America.”

Si Cantwell, a local news columnist at StarNews, moderated the discussion by first informing the audience that they would be prompting the discussion among panelists. Questions raised by the audience were broad in range and included topics such as the Federal Reserve and concerns about how important physical space (encampment) is to the movement.

“The Federal Reserve is the bank of last resort. It acts independently of the President, Congress and politics,” said Chris Dumas, a professor of economics at UNCW. The Federal Reserve can affect interest rates and the money supply in America. The Reserve has been criticized lately in light of the current economy.

“Ordinary people feel that the financial system is not serving them well,” Dumas said. “There are trillions of dollars in banks right now but they’re not hiring people, they’re not spending it. The question is, why do they need it? Why are all of U.S. businesses moving companies to China?”

An audience member who moved to America after 26 years in China said, “I see and feel democracy here. But the way the government is treating OWS (kicking them out of public spaces and off of sidewalks) is how China would treat them. The government is supposed to represent the 99 percent. What are they so afraid of?”

“Governments are scared because over 50 percent of Americans now agree with what OWS is saying. The people elect officials and the people are discontent,” replied student Drew Hardin.

Another issue the OWNC is facing is the shutdown of their encampment site. “It violates the protestor’s constitutional rights,” said Anthony Snider, professor of environmental studies at UNCW.

Protestors at the downtown site have cited the first amendment in regards to their right to protest. Panelist Angela Johnson asked, “Are public spaces ours?”

“Any kind of movement needs symbols,” said Delthea Simmons, UNCW graduate and activist. “Right now, the symbol for the OWS movement is encampment; it says ‘we are taking this space back.'”

“Encampments are very important for issue development within the movement. But shutting them down won’t take away from message,” said Hardin.

The winner-take-all political system in America often results in a polarized system.

“The greatest threat to government is polarized political parties.” said Snider. “We’re experiencing the most polarized political action since the civil war.”

The panel continued discussion, touching on capitalism in America. “Capitalism is like garlic,” said Simmons. “A little goes a long way.”

When an audience member yelled out, “Corporations are people too,” the room erupted in laughter. Simmons responded by saying, “I refuse to believe corporations are people until Texas executes one.”

“It’s not that all corporations are bad,” said Dumas. “It’s that the banks in America have become too big to fail. Why were they allowed to become too big to fail? We made the error of letting them grow too large.”

“The movement is fascinating from a sociological perspective. Economic and class issues have come out as a result of this movement. Why now? Because of how deep and enduring this recession has been. The U.S. is in deep denial about class issues,” said McNamee.

“People feel that they don’t have a voice. They’ve been apathetic,” said Johnson. “They were in the mindset of, ‘I have my car, my house.’ It’s hitting home now because when you can’t pay your debt or have your own home what can you do? Don’t just support a global movement… hooray. Ask what you can personally do to get your voice across. This is a people’s movement and with it, individuals are given a voice.”

Ron Shackleford, community member and activist, closed the forum: “Certain issues at certain times affect everyone. That time is now….We are not democrats, we’re not republicans nor libertarians. We are people.” Shackleford quoted Thomas Jefferson, saying, “A little rebellion now and then is a good thing and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.”

Students interested in the movement are encouraged to start debate and discussion. More information about the movement in Wilmington can be found at occupywilmingtonnc.org.