UNCW ranks 15th nationally as a best value university

Corey Strickland | Staff Writer

Previously ranked 27th nationally as a best value university, UNC Wilmington has made a significant leap to 15th, according to Kiplinger’s 2012 rankings. UNCW is also ranked 2nd as a best value university in the state of North Carolina, behind UNC-Chapel Hill.

“This move (from 27th to 15th nationally) reflects the hard work of the university, faculty and students,” said Terry Curran, associate provost of academic affairs. “UNCW is a high quality institution that is being recognized nationally.”

Kiplinger’s ranks colleges nationwide on their quality and affordability according to a number of measurable standards. For 2012, Kiplinger’s website stated that they calculated the value of public four-year universities by considering the cost and financial aid, student indebtedness, competitiveness, graduation rates and academic support.

Kiplinger’s website describes the revamped ranking system: “(Universities are evaluated based on) criteria we consider crucial to academic value, including the percentage of students who return for sophomore year and the four-year graduation rate. Each category measures a college’s ability to keep students engaged and on track for graduation.”

“Kiplinger’s doesn’t only rank the costs of a university, but also the outcomes,” said Curran.

Compared to universities nationwide, UNCW has a four-year graduation rate of 52 percent and a six-year graduation rate of 67 percent. With a student body of around 12,000, UNCW has a freshmen retention rate of 86 percent, and the average student’s debt at graduation is $21,434.

“Because our cost (tuition, fees) is so low, we are able to meet most of the needs for students that apply. Seventy-five percent of students accepted to UNCW apply for need based financial aid. Fifty-nine percent of those that apply are eligible. We are able to meet 74.7 percent of the student’s needs and this percentage includes loans. Almost every student that applies for aid applies for a loan,” said Emily Bliss, director of financial aid.

“We haven’t developed specific criteria to receive recognition, but as a university, we are intentionally creating a sense of community among students, staff and faculty, a commitment to undergraduate research and a high quality of students that do what they can to improve UNCW,” Curran said.

UNCW has been rated in the top five public universities in North Carolina since 2003.

Compared to other North Carolina public universities, UNCW outranked NC State (19), Appalachian State (33) and UNC-Asheville (45).

To maintain this best value ranking, Curran said UNCW must continue to be challenged and never satisfied.

“As a university, we believe in a top-notch faculty and helping students succeed. We must incorporate Chancellor Miller’s climate of innovation ideas. Our commitment to and quality of undergraduate research is what makes us different,” said Curran.