Take a Stand and CARE: Bystander Intervention Competition

Birdie Loeffler | Staff Writer

Stories are heard every day about injustices committed throughout the world. Many of these injustices are committed by human against fellow human.  It’s easy to think “I’m just one person and I can’t make a difference.” However, here at UNCW, everyone can make a difference. Sometimes just one person can make all the difference in the world.

As Seahawks everyone has a responsibility to take care of fellow Seahawks. UNCW CARE recognizes that responsibility, and they also recognize that plenty of students on campus are making significant differences in the lives of other students. CARE would like to acknowledge the positive things Seahawks are doing for their UNCW peers by starting a “Bystander Intervention Competition.” This competition will give outstanding Seahawk students the recognition they deserve.

“We know that people here at UNCW are making a difference in others’ lives for the better every day.  This campaign is designed to recognize our community’s active bystanders as well as to spread the word that every stand against interpersonal violence is a stand for a safer, better UNCW community. When many of us think about bystander intervention, we think of someone breaking up a fight or telling someone they are wrong for acting violently.  While those are great examples of bystander intervention, we hope to use examples from all levels of the spectrum, from bringing a program to your residential community because your residents need more knowledge on how to help a friend in crisis, to Facebook posts about stopping injustice, all the way to taking someone to get help when they need it most. We want to let the UNCW community know that true Seahawks help take care of the people around them,” said CARE in a message regarding the campaign. 

Everyone wants to live in a community that cares about each other. This means holding oneself accountable in uncomfortable situations.

“This competition is more geared towards students who have been helpful in removing their friends from dangerous situations. This could include picking up a friend when they have been drinking, to intervening when there is an uncomfortable and potentially unsafe dating situation,” said CARE’s Interpersonal Violence Prevention Coordinator, Adam Hall. 

If you have a story about a UNCW student who stepped up in a difficult situation and acted as an intervening bystander, you are encouraged to pass the story along to CARE. An engaged Seahawk bystander can make a difference in any kind of situation, even if they are just one person.

“Students can nominate themselves, or their fellow Seahawks. Active bystanders are those students who are willing to engage in situations where not everyone normally would. Many RA’s and other student leaders have been nominated, but the competition is open to everyone. Those who are nominated can win CARE t-shirts and $50 giftcards,” said Hall.

The six winning stories will be developed into poster campaigns to encourage others to act as intervening bystanders. The winning nominees will receive a $50 gift card and the nominators will receive a t-shirt. All stories should be sent to [email protected]. Nominations will be accepted from Feb. 19 to March 4, and March 5 the winners will be announced.