Delta Tau Delta holds 5k for Fallen Brother

Jordan Wilkins | Staff Writer

On Saturday, Feb. 5, 40 runners joined the brothers of UNCW’s Delta Tau Delta fraternity to remember a fallen brother and participate in a 5k run and walk. Among its participants were Zeta Tau alumni, campus faculty and students both within and outside the Greek community.

“Our 5K race is held in honor of Danny McGregor, a UNCW sophomore who passed away in March of 2003. Proceeds from the race will go to the Danny McGregor 5k Scholarship Fund, and in years past we have made thousands of dollars that contribute to our fund,” said Runyon Woods, President of the Delta Tau fraternity.

“McGregor died in a car accident during spring break while returning from a fishing trip in the Florida Keys. He was a valued member of Delta Tau Delta and will always be missed,” said Woods.

The annual 5k race is held the weekend of UNCW’s homecoming game, so that alumni can participate and come back to reminisce and congregate with past and present brothers.

Junior Mike Vaughn of Kappa Alpha Order, won the race for the men’s division this year with a time of 21 minutes, and 55 seconds. It was his second year participating in the race with his fraternity brothers. Sophomore Julia Neal won the women’s division with a time of 21 minutes, and 58 seconds, and Cara Enright was a close second place.

“It felt good to win the race because I knew the top finishers in both the mens and women’s divisions were strong competitors and racers. I look forward to coming back next year to run again and defend my title,” said Vaughn.

“I feel that it is important to support other chapters and organizations events on the UNCW campus. Running the McGregor 5k was my way of exemplifying the way I give back to others while having a chance to compete with my peers and other racers in the Wilmington community,” said Vaughn.

The Danny McGregor scholarship will be awarded to a UNCW student that demonstrates exceptional academic ability, exemplary character and exceptional leadership potential.