UNCW’s 7th leader, 4th chancellor officially installed

Chloe Miller | Staff Writer

Framed between the majestic canopy of old oak trees and the three original buildings on the South College campus, Gary Leon Miller was officially installed as UNCW’s chancellor April 20.

An innovator for Southeastern North Carolina and an engaged listener, possessing a genuine love for students, Gary Miller is the 7th leader and 4th chancellor of the University of North Carolina Wilmington.

“This is not only a formal installation, but a celebration of UNCW’s past, present and future,” said President of the University of North Carolina Tom Ross. Ross is confident that Gary Miller is the right leader at the right time for UNCW.

Changing and challenging times for public universities and education were a popular focus of the installation. Public skepticism of higher education means capable and innovative leaders must carry forward an institution’s missions and values while creating potential for future growth.

“Though UNCW is the youngest campus in the UNC school system, the university has climbed steadily to the top of the academic ladder and preserves a strong and enduring support of the greater Wilmington community,” said Board of Governors Chairman Hannah Gage.

“The ingredients for greatness are already here,” Gage said, and Chancellor Miller’s “strong leadership and clear vision” will provide the necessary adaptations for UNCW’s future.

Many delegates from colleges and universities around the country, the Board of Trustees, faculty and staff, the Board of Governors, former UNCW Chancellor James R. Leutze, and numerous other guests and students participated in the gathering as a university family witnessing a historic and symbolic compact for UNCW.

In Chancellor Miller’s thorough and elaborate speech about where the university is headed, he exemplified a promise and hope for UNCW’s strong future. A journey of learning, love of place, and power of ideas and innovation provided the foundation for his efforts and priorities.

As a cool breeze tickled the guests on Hoggard Lawn, excitement emanated from Chancellor Miller as he addressed the globalization of the world and how he will be the one to give a “fearless twist in traditions” to prepare UNCW for times of change and times of criticism.

“I am confident there is no greater enterprise than that of public education,” Miller said. He will not let the value of education and growing skepticism in our increasingly electronic age dismiss the prowess and hope UNCW represents.

After many handshakes, many thanks to Chancellor Miller’s wife, Georgia Miller, an optimistic word from new Student Body President Keith Fraser and the congratulations of the UNCW, Wilmington, North Carolina and national community, Gary Miller accepted the oath of office and the chancellor’s medallion. Only time will tell if these promises and innovations will be achieved, but great possibilities for the future look bright.