UNCW students pushing to get votes for election day

Mary Childers | Contributing Writer

A voter registration drive was held on the UNCW campus in order to raise awareness for the upcoming presidential election. The drive was hosted by UNC-Wilmington Students for Obama, alongside Deb Butler, who is running for Senate District 9 in New Hanover County.

Seahawks for Obama promotes voting awareness in the campus community. The group communicates via Facebook (“Seahawks for Obama”), expressing ideas for the group or putting links to articles in regards to the political campaign. 

Members of SFO walk up and down Chancellor’s Walk and into dorms and common areas, attempting to gain pledges for President Obama in the upcoming election.

“We personally go up to people and ask them who they’re in support of,” said sophomore Jennifer Serrano.

The pledge cards are not a commitment to vote but instead serve as a promise and reminder to students. 

“Pledges are a count of how many people will vote for Obama,” said freshman Mia Goetz. “We send the pledges back out to whoever signed them as a reminder closer to voting time.” 

Students approaching the Obama for America tent are able to grab stickers, buttons, absentee ballots and information sheets about the candidates. They are also able to fill out their voter registrations.

Set on Chancellor’s Walk, the Seahawks for Obama tent has a neighboring tent for students who want to know more about the Republican candidate, Mitt Romney. 

Operating the tent with information about Romney is student Nick Ortiz, who referred to himself as a “middleman” since he associates himself with both tents.

“We accept them whether they’re Democrat or Republican,” said Ortiz. “From what I understand, both groups are similar when it comes to getting pledges for either candidate.”

Assisting with pledges is New Hanover Senatorial candidate Deb Butler. 

“I had a great time at the voter drive,” said Butler. “It was terrific to see them (students) engaged at such a young age, and I cannot say enough about how inspiring they were.”

As the presidential election comes closer, the importance of voting is common grounds for both the Obama and Romney supporters on campus. Butler also expressed the power students have in this election, and she has done the research to back that up.

“The population of UNCW can make or break this whole election in this county,” said Butler. “If this campus turns out and votes, it could very well be the linchpin of each and every race in this county, which is why Obama for America is so invested in this campus.”