Students, locals volunteer to “Stop Hunger Now”

Though starvation is a serious issue, the atmosphere at Saturday’s Stop Hunger Now event at UNC Wilmington was lighthearted. Speakers blasted pop music while 375 volunteers stood side-by-side, packaging 100,600 meals. 

It was hard work for the UNCW students, faculty, and community members at the event. But it didn’t stop them from dancing the “Cupid Shuffle” during a work break at 1 p.m.

A variety of UNCW’s student organizations volunteered at the event, which was broken into three different shifts among students from Amnesty International, Fellowship of Christian University Students and the UNCW swimming and diving team.  

Freshman Sasha Chirnova volunteered with FOCUS at noon. 

“It was really fun and motivating,” Chirnova said.  “Once you get in a rhythm, you really don’t want to stop.”

Stop Hunger Now is a relief agency founded in 1998 by UNCW alum Ray Buchanan.  The meal packaging program has distributed nearly 80 million meals to impoverished people in 76 countries. Each meal costs only 25 cents to produce. The assembly process combines rice, soy, dehydrated vegetables, and a vitamin-rich flavoring mix into small meal packets.

Stop Hunger Now’s offices are spread across the United States, and the mobile packaging operation can go anywhere volunteers are located. The use of volunteers has made the organization economically effective, while increasing awareness of global hunger issues.

UNCW’s campus dining facilities raised money for the event, too. Signs advertising Stop Hunger Now were placed in Dub’s Café, Randall Library, and Wagoner Dining Hall, which asked students to donate a dollar.

In 2008, the UNCW athletics department got involved with the organization and hosted the school’s first packaging event in Hanover Gym. They’ve hosted an event each year since.  This year, the Athletics Department partnered with St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Aramark campus dining service, and UNCW’s Center for Leadership Education and Service (CLES).

“It’s a very collaborative event to host,” said director of CLES, Donna Crowe.  “Bill Anlyan with St. Paul’s Episcopal Church has been our predominant fundraiser. They [sic] have raised $25,000.”

Crowe was extremely pleased with the volunteer turnout. She hopes that next year’s Stop Hunger Now packaging event will be even more successful.

The signs and the CLES weekly e-mail newsletter made students aware of the cause, encouraging them to contribute their time, as well. 

“It was everywhere,” UNCW junior Cathy Jordan said.  “It was very well advertised this year.”

Keisha Cousins, a CLES Student Leader, found that volunteering contributed to her personal wellness.

“It’s very empowering to give hope to other people and know that what you do benefits someone else,” Cousins said.