Student assaulted in campus parking lot

Angela Hunt | Editor-in-Chief

Two still-unidentified men assaulted a UNCW student and attempted to rob him in a parking lot on campus early Sunday morning.

The student was treated for non-life-threatening injuries, but refused to go to the hospital, according to a UNCW release.

The suspects remain at large.

According to the release, the student was walking through P Lot near University Apartments around 2 a.m. when he saw two men searching a vehicle he knew belonged to another student. When he confronted them, the men forced him to the ground. They punched and kicked the student, then went through the student’s pockets before escaping on foot toward Price Drive.  UNCW police received the call at 2:22 a.m.

The men were described as an African-American male wearing a gray fleece jacket and blue jeans, and a Hispanic man wearing a brown hoodie and blue jeans (possibly 5’6″ to 5’7″ tall). These descriptions match those associated with other vehicle break-ins in the neighborhood.

UNCW Police responded and searched campus with the K-9 unit, but the damp weather prevented the dogs from picking up a trail. 

If you have any information about this attempted robbery, please contact UNCW Police at (910)- 962-2222, or send an anonymous tip to (910) 962-TIPS or via email at www.uncw.edu/police.

Check back at 8:30 a.m. Monday for any updates.