Quintiles Marathons Comes to Wrightsville

Joseph Lowe | Staff Writer

St. Patrick’s Day 2013 brought marathoners from across the U.S. to Wilmington’s Mayfaire Town Center. Covered in green, runners of all age groups united to run the Quintiles Half and Full Marathon.

At 6:30 a.m. about 4,000 runners began their 13.1 or 26.2 mile journey throughout Wrightsville Beach. A half marathon encompasses 13.1 miles. A full marathon covers 26.2 miles.

The marathon course stretched from Causeway Drive at Wrightsville Beach to the finish line at Mayfaire. Runners aged 13 to 73 ran in an effort to cross the marathon milestone off their bucket list.

Several UNCW students and faculty were in attendance as both runners and supporters Sunday. Many gathered around the finish line to watch the marathoners’ epic finishes. The crowd was filled with signs bearing names and cheers.

Jeremiah Riley, a UNCW student and triathlon club member, was one of the almost 4,000 runners to cross the finish line on Sunday.  For Riley, running is more than staying in shape or relieving stress. 

“I prefer to run alone. It is my time to meditate and think,” Riley said. “It’s just me. It’s the one time I stay focused.” 

Riley began running when he joined the Marine Corps, deeming it “my only chance I could think for myself.”

After serving four years, Riley began attending UNCW where running has become a dominant part of his life. Riley was able to finish the marathon in 4 hours and 58 minutes, keeping a pace of 11 minutes and 24 second per mile.

“It was a rough finish, a lot of cramping,” Riley said. “Did not get the time I wanted, but I got my medal. I am quite satisfied.”

Like any sport, running a marathon requires dedication and training. It often takes two to three days of long distance running mixed with sprint training. Some runners do an eight to 12 mile run on the weekends.

However, it doesn’t take an expert to prepare for a marathon. Runners of any expertise can train correctly with a little research, according to Christopher Dennis, a UNCW associate professor.

“I get online and find training regiments,” Dennis said. “You just have to know your own limits.” 

Dennis ran the half marathon with fellow UNCW professor, Frank Trimble.  Together, they finished the half marathon with a time of 1 hour and 48 minutes. They kept an eight minute mile pace for 13.1 miles.  At age 39 and 53, the accomplishment is that much more gratifying.

“In your head you think of this typical runner, but there are all body types and ages who do better than some of the phenomenal athletes,” Dennis said.  

Whether the runners finished the race at a sprint, stumble or in someone’s arms, everyone was cheered for.

“There’s something to say for the sense of community in these races,” Dennis said.

People of all ages can participate. With marathon running comes a true sense of accomplishment. If you enjoy running this may be for you. Only .5 percent of the country can say they have ever run a marathon. Join this community, increase this percentage, and cross run a marathon off your bucket list!