UNCW’s first dance marathon a success

Caroline Logan | Intern

Pi Sigma Epsilon, the marketing fraternity on campus, hosted UNC Wilmington’s first ever dance marathon on Saturday, April 20, raising approximately $7,500. The dance marathon was coordinated by junior Michelle Montpetit and will benefit the Betty H. Cameron Women’s and Children’s Hospital located in Wilmington.

“We have had an overall awesome turn out,” said Montpetit. “We plan on continuing this for years and continuing to build a great relationship with the New Hanover Medical Center.”

Montpetit received her inspiration from her twin sister who is the publicity chair of the UNC Dance Marathon, which has raised over $400,000 for their local children’s hospital.

Money raised from UNCW’s dance marathon and donated to the Betty H. Cameron Women’s and Children’s hospital will fund the following specific areas: pediatric pharmacy fund, which provides pharmaceutical resources patients without financial resources, the pediatric toy closet, the purchase of medical equipment, and the Nunnelee Pediatric Specialty Clinic, which serves children in need of highly specialized outpatient care.

The free event was open to all students and jam packed with activities. Dance features included performances by UNCW’s hip hop team Physical Graffeeti, the Irish Dance Club, Seahawkappellas, and many more.

Apart from performances, there were interactive dances for everyone, including cardio dance and tae chi. DJ Sparxx spun beats to ensure the music was always playing and the atmosphere was exciting.

If students did not feel like dancing, there was cornhole, board games, a photobooth, and free Chick-fil-A. Students were free to make donations at the event or online.

Prior to the event, members of Pi Sigma Epsilon were all expected to raise $50. However, students were encouraged to raise as much as possible, encouraging donors to check out their sponsorship website.

Junior Ryan Cullen, who raised $500 on his own, expressed enthusiasm for the outcome of the event.

“I had no idea we were going to raise so much money,” Cullen said. “It makes me feel accomplished, especially because this is the first year the event has been put on.”

Montpetit hopes to carry on the tradition, one day making UNCW’s dance marathon as big as Chapel Hill’s. She explained that next year they hope to get more of the families involved who are receiving the donations in order to foster a more sentimental appeal.

UNCW is known for its excellence in community service and outreach. UNCW’s first Dance Marathon is just one example that reflects the impact students on campus are having on the greater Wilmington community.