Mark your calendar: upcoming events

Lori Wilson | Lifestyles Editor

*The Seahawk is not responsible for any future changes in event location or times of these events.

Chalk It Out! Chalkboard Art Exhibition

Thursday, Aug. 21 (reception at 5:30 p.m.)

Ann Flack Boseman Gallery

The Association for Campus Entertainment (ACE) sponsors this interactive community event to inspire artistic expression among students. Draw or write on large chalkboards through Friday, Sept. 12. No cost to participate.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Friday, Aug. 22 (showings at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.)

Lumina Theater

Lumina Theatre will open its doors for the first movie showing of the new school year. Kick off the weekend with this dynamic Avengers movie featuring Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson. Here’s the best part: admission is free.

Comedian Barry Rothbart

Saturday, Aug. 23 at 7 p.m.

Warwick Center

Enjoy 60 minutes of serious laughter at this stand-up show with up-and-coming American comedian Barry Rothbart, who costars on “Punk’d,” and appears on “The Wolf of Wall Street,” “Men of a Certain Age,” “Tonight Show with Jay Leno” and many others. The show is free to attend and sponsored by ACE.

Teal Tuesday Kickoff

Tuesday, Aug.  26 at 11 a.m.

Campus Amphitheater (beside Fisher Student Center)

Celebrate this year’s first Teal Tuesday in style and with spirit. ACE will provide music, a free caricature artist and free food.

Thirsty Tome

Tuesday, Aug. 26 at 6 p.m.

Sherman Hayes Gallery (on first floor of Randall Library)

Randall Library will host the annual Thirsty Tome event, featuring readings by poet Malena Mörling and young adult fiction author Nina de Gramont, as well as various graduate students. Revel in the culture of creative writing on our campus, alongside free refreshments. Free admission.

Sorority Recruitment Orientation

Tuesday, Aug. 26 at 7 p.m.

Burney Center

Begin meeting the nine Panhellenic sororities on campus as part of the mutually selective process that continues until Bid Day, on Sept. 2. Fall recruitment registration also ends at 11:59 p.m. on this day (Aug. 26).

Last Day to Drop/Add

Wednesday, Aug. 27

It’s time to breathe—the first few days of class are complete. If you feel the need to change your schedule, this is the last day.

Involvement Carnival

Wednesday, Aug. 27 at 10 a.m.

Campus Commons

Student organizations, UNCW departments, religious organizations, community service agencies, and local businesses gather to commence the new year. Pass by booths on your way to class to discover opportunities and receive freebies such as food and coupons.

Student vs. Food

Wednesday, Aug. 27 at 5 p.m.

Madeline Suite

Learn how to maintain a healthy diet while living in a residence hall or apartment by receiving various nutritional tips. This event is sponsored by Health Promotion and Campus Dining. Free admission.

UNCWorld’s Fair

Wednesday, Aug. 27 at 6:30 p.m.

Discover study-aboard opportunities while you surround yourself with international food and global games. While you’re there, meet student ambassadors to find out more information. Free admission.

Women’s Soccer vs. Georgia Southern

Sunday, Aug. 24 at 1 p.m. 

UNCW Soccer Stadium

Cheer on the UNCW women’s soccer team at the first home game of the season. Don’t forget to wear your teal to show that Seahawk spirit.