UNCW hosts annual career fair this Wednesday

Jessica Nelson | Contributing Writer

This Wednesday, the UNCW Career Center hosts its annual Spring Career Fair from 12-3 pm in the Burney Center. 

During this event, students will have the chance to engage with employers and learn more about the companies that interest them. Although this event is aimed to help students find internships and possible job opportunities, it is not limited to just upperclassmen.

More than 70 employers from various industries will be attending the fair, eager to talk to students. Students from all academic departments are encouraged by the university to attend and take advantage of this wonderful networking opportunity. Professional attire is recommended.

Communication Studies department chair, Dr. Richard Olsen, encourages that any and all students attend.

“Its not an event just for seniors,” he said. “Every student benefits from it.”

Students can use the career fair to learn how to talk, connect, and form relationships with possible employers. If anything, look at it as a way to sharpen your interviewing skills.

“Even as a sophomore you should go so you can make mistakes, look clueless and not have it impact your impressions with recruiters when it counts.” Dr. Olsen said.

There are many ways to prepare for the Career Fair. Students should take the time to look over, and research, employers attending to determine which ones interest them the most.

Olsen highly suggests that students be able to answer the following question: “In 30 seconds or less, how do you meet the needs of our company?” By preparing a short introduction of yourself, you can highlight the traits and skills you have to bring to a company.

“Come with questions,” Dr. Olsen recommended.

Although this experience can be a way for recruiters to interview you, it is a way for you to interview them as well. Asking questions about a typical workday, recommended courses, and entry level positions are all questions that should be emphasized.

UNCW senior, Damon Lilly, described the Career Fair as being extremely beneficial.

“Attending the career fair is a great opportunity to have 10-15 interviews in one day,” Lilly said.

Lilly said preparation is key to success at the fair. He takes 20 resumes printed on resume paper to help him stand out amongst peers. Leaving behind business cards or resumes shows potential employers that you are serious about taking the next step. It also gives them something to remember you by. There are hundreds of students looking for internships and jobs; you want to be memorable.  

“I have attended every career fair while I have been a student here at UNCW,” Damon said. “And [I] have had 16 interviews come from my interactions with recruiters- eight of them resulted in post-graduate or internship offers. “

Damon completed an internship with Enterprise Rent a Car, as well as Edward Jones, both as a result of the Career Fair. During his internship with Enterprise gave him the opportunity to be on the other side of the table and act as a recruiter for the event.

Damon said he is thankful for the opportunities he received through the Career Fair.  One of his internships led to a fulltime position post graduation. Starting in August, he will be working as a full time employee for Edward Jones (a major financial advising firm).

With over 70 employers to explore, the Career Fair is a great start to your future. A full list of the attending employers can be found on the Career Services website or on SeaWork.