ACE cancels spring show

Dianna Dames | Contributing Writer

The University of North Carolina Wilmington’s Association for Campus Entertainment (ACE) will not be putting on their spring concert this year after deciding to put more money into booking bigger artists for the fall concert and Festapalooza.

ACE is a student organization on campus that arranges activities for students. This organization is separated into six committees: Homecoming, Special Events, Spirit, Films, Boseman Gallery and Concerts.

Each school year, ACE sets up several concerts, with the spring and fall shows being the most publicized. In the 2013-2014 school year, We the Kings performed for the fall show and comedian Jay Pharoah performed for the spring show. For this academic year, Hoodie Allen performed for the fall show.

“I would say it was one of the most successful shows that we’ve seen in a while,” said Candace Reeder, President of ACE, “it was just a really great event for all of our organization to band together.”

The concerts are typically coordinated by the chair of the concert committee, Dorian Newkirt, but the spring and fall shows are two concerts that all of ACE helps construct.

Newkirt searches for and reaches out to artists for all of the concerts other than the fall and spring shows. The ACE executive board goes on a retreat in the summer to scope out different artists that would be a good fit for UNCW, and this is where they discuss the fall and spring concerts.

“All I do is vote and give my input on who would be a good fit,” Newkirt said.

At the last retreat, the executive board made the decision not to put on a spring show this year. Andrea Ingle, the advisor for ACE, said the executive board discussed whether or not they wanted to have a smaller fall show so that another show in the spring could be possible, or if they would rather spend more money on a bigger artist for the fall at the expense of scratching the spring show.

“What we did this year is we decided lets go all in, let’s use our full budget for the fall,” Ingle said. “That ended up working out really successfully.”

The Hoodie Allen concert brought in so much revenue that ACE plans to also have a bigger artist perform at Festapalooza, the festival held on the Gazebo Fields on the last day of classes.

ACE does not plan on releasing the name of the artist until all of the contracts have been signed.

In order to organize the fall and spring shows, ACE first gets a long list of artists who are in the budget set by ACE. The committee then starts to narrow down the list and create an online survey and promote the link throughout the summer. After getting the votes, the committee then has to decide which artist they believe best fits the UNCW campus, while taking student votes into account and the availability dates of each artist.

Although this plan of spending more money on a few shows has proved successful so far, ACE is not sure if they will continue to use the same method of budgeting.

“We’re currently getting ready to hire the executive board for next semester, so that would be a talk we’ll have during transitions between the two boards,” Reeder said.

The next show that ACE will be hosting is their second annual Battle of the Bands. There will be seven bands facing off to win the first place prize of $500. This will be on Tuesday, Feb. 10 in the Warwick Center from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.