Save the date!

By Sierra Shepherd, Lifestyles Editor

A list of seven on-campus arts & entertainment events for the spring semester.

1. Piper Kerman, author of Orange is the New Black

“In the critically acclaimed memoir-turned Netflix series Orange is the New Black, Piper Kerman recounts the year she spent in a correctional facility. Kerman’s book is a compelling and moving conversation about the women she met while incarcerated, raising issues of friendship and family, codes of behavior, and the almost complete lack of guidance for life after prison. Now, Kerman advocates for change in the prison system, speaking to groups that include federal probation officers, public defenders, and formerly incarcerated people.” – UNCW Presents

Kerman will visit UNCW for a presentation on Mar. 3 at 7pm in the Burney Center.

This event is free for UNCW Students, Faculty and Staff. Tickets are $10 for the general public and may be purchased through Sharky’s Box Office (910.962.4045) or online via etix.

2. Maci Bookout from MTV’s Teen Mom  

“Maci has appeared on numerous talk shows and spoken to many educational groups on teen pregnancy prevention. She consistently receives praise from the audience for her candidness, down to earth personality, and refreshingly insightful commentary. With a meet and greet and Q&A, Maci is sure to provide UNCW with an authentic and exciting event from one of MTV’s biggest stars.” – UNCW Association for Campus Entertainment

Bookout comes to UNCW on Mar. 4. At 7pm in the Burney Center, she will give a lecture, followed by a question and answer session. There will also be a meet and greet. This event is free for everyone.

3. Broadway’s Jekyll & Hyde

“The first full-scale Broadway production presented in Wilmington, Broadway brings the story of Jekyll & Hyde to life in a pop-rock, powerhouse musical. A thrilling retelling of a groundbreaking book, Jekyll & Hyde explores the life of a brilliant doctor whose experiments create a murderous counterpart. This gothic-inspired production explores madness and murder, creating an entertaining commentary on human nature. With its smoky effects, soaring vocals and sweeping power ballads, this performance is a must-see.” – UNCW Presents

On Wed., Mar. 18, at 7pm, the Broadway cast will showcase their talents in Kenan Auditorium. Tickets are $5 for students and $35 for the general public.

4. Cape Fear Environmental Film Forum

On Mar. 20-21 in King Hall Auditorium, Cape Fear Environmental Film Forum presents a combination of films, panels, environmental education sessions. More information is available on their Facebook page.

5. UNCW Greek Week 2015 Talent Show

On April 10 in Kenan Auditorium, Greeks compete in the annual talent show. This year, in the theme of The Hunger Games film.

6. Schwoodstock 2015

Schwoodstock is, “an innovative music festival designed around four major elements: music, food, sustainability, and awareness.”

The event features student musicians, local artists, and out-of-town talent.

Schwoodstock is Fri., April 17 at 4 pm – 11 pm in the courtyard of the University Suites residence halls.

7. John Lithgow: Stories by Heart

“Excellent Company. John Lithgow sure has a marvelous way of transforming himself into characters of every shape and size. A cast of one becomes a multitudinous ensemble.” – Los Angeles Times

Critically-acclaimed Actor John Lithgow from 90s TV series 3rd Rock from the Sun and Dexter, and the film Interstellar performs a one-man show on Friday, Apr. 17 at 8pm in Kenan Auditorium.

UNCW students may receive one ticket for free. Tickets for the public range from $45-$65.