Student Recreation center updates group exercise classes

Sierra Shepherd | Lifestyles Editor, Sydney Sides | Assistant Opinion Editor

This semester, the UNC Wilmington Student Recreation center offers a multitude of group exercise courses, ranging from relaxing to high-energy. Titles include the more traditional Core training, Pilates, and several varieties of Yoga, upbeat Step and Cardio Dance classes, BodyPump and Boot Camp.

Instructors are nationally certified to ensure safety and first-rate quality.

Fitness Instructor Daniella Meyer teaches Yoga Relaxation, traditional Yoga, and Yogalates. “I began teaching classes here last fall,” said Meyer.

Yoga, and other classes feature appropriately themed music. Calmer tunes for classes centered on flexibility, and high-energy popular music for the cardio-intense workouts. Instructors vary playlists to keep things diverse and fun.

Items like yoga mats and other equipment are typically provided, but participants are encouraged to arrive early.

“Afternoon classes tend to be this size [about 12 participants] and are larger in the evenings”

One instructor, Michaela Moran has taught fitness classes since last spring. She is a senior at UNCW.

“We do have some new formats this fall,” said Moran. “We are excited to be starting an ‘A.M. Power Boost’ class, a ‘Sculpted Arms’ class, ‘Sculpted Legs’ class, and also a ‘Cycle Express’ so you can get in awesome cycle workout in a shorter class.” 

Designed to accommodate the busiest of students, express classes last 30 minutes, and are ideal for newcomers who wish to gain familiarity with different formats of exercise.

“In my opinion,” said Moran, “there are so many awesome benefits to group exercise!  First off, classes are so fun! I also think that classes offer a great opportunity to meet other students and make some great friends.”

Students can break the monotony of their workout routines by choosing different classes, or trying new approaches to exercise.

One unique class, Core and Foam Rolling, strengthens core and teaches the practice of foam rolling, which helps relieve soreness that builds from other, more vigorous workouts.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, a 45-minute Hydrofit class takes place in the rec’s indoor pool. Hydrofit is described as a “full body deep and shallow water workout that mimics land moves.” Participants use “buoyancy belts, noodles and water resistance to implement cardio and strength work.”   

Moran said group exercise “helps people to stay physically active in a variety of ways.  Every class is unique, and each instructor has her own strengths, bringing something new to each class!”

Whether an individual is a seasoned athlete, or first-timer, appropriate group exercise courses can be found to best fit the student’s needs and goals.

In addition to the obvious health benefits, the rec offers other incentives.

“Passports are offered to all group exercise participants and are often used in PED 101 classes to encourage students to try out some new classes,” said Moran.  

“The instructor will stamp your passport at the end of class, and once a full passport is complete the participant can earn a Seahawk Fitness t-shirt.  It’s a great incentive, but nothing beats the benefits exercise has on your body, mind, and spirit.”

A full, detailed schedule of course offerings, as well as class descriptions, can be found on the Campus Recreation webpage.