UNCW’s Centro Hispano Honored Nationally and Sets Example

Casey McAnarney | Assistant Editor

Though fist-bumping President Barack Obama and being honored by the White House were pivotal experiences for UNC-Wilmington’s Centro Hispano Community Liaison Chris Montero, the real success that Centro Hispano focuses on is the success of its students.

The White House honored Centro Hispano with two distinctions this past October. First, the White House elected Centro Hispano as a Bright Spot in Hispanic Education due to the center’s commitment to supporting the educational fulfillments of Latino students.

The second distinction came with UNCW being included among 150 public and private institutions as a school with Commitment to Action, according to a UNCW press release. Its commitment being to make “meaningful and quantifiable contributions to expand and support the educational outcomes” of the Latino community.

Montero finds that these honors show that Centro Hispano has more support as it advocates for growth of the Latino and Hispanic student body.

“Our best interest is to create access to higher education for other Latinos and Hispanics across the state,” said Montero. “Within the whole UNC system, we are the only university that has a resource center for Hispanics. We are kind of like the pioneers… we are the role models for others to follow suit.”

One of Centro Hispano’s programs highlighted by the White House for its outreach was the Mi Casa Mentoring Program. Mi Casa is a two year program in which high school students are paired with college students and get the opportunity to prepare for college and the SAT.

The mentees also experience identity development through fostering their pride in being Hispanic and building their team skills. According to Montero, being surrounded by people that look like them and strive for the same goals as them is good for young Latinos and Hispanics.

UNCW Senior and Mi Casa Mentor Eduardo José Vanegas-Garcia said the program is one of the more rewarding things he has been able to do at UNCW.

“I’m trying to get my mentee, Adam, to college,” said Vanegas-Garcia, “because when I was in his position I didn’t know if I was going [to college].”

About 14 percent of Latinos obtain a college degree, according to Montero, so a program like Mi Casa provides the resources and connections for young members of the Hispanic community to strive for higher education.

Looking at UNCW itself, the university has grown its Latino and Hispanic student population to around 1,000 students. UNCW did not have half of that population five years ago.

These honors from the White House are coming at a time when the center is moving up in terms of importance at the university.

Centro Hispano was a part of Academic Affairs a few months ago, and now is a part of the Office of the Chancellor, “a tremendous jump in terms of the importance,” said Montero. 

The largest part of Centro Hispano’s work is promoting the success of its students. “The most important thing [to us] is our students,” said Montero. “Their success reflects on our work.”

Centro Hispano is having their fifth annual Salsa Fiesta on November 14 in celebration of its 10 year anniversary, national recognition, and Hispanic heritage. The fiesta will have professional dance teams and a full 14 member band from Wilmington in attendance.