UNCW attack may have happened, just not on campus

Casey McAnarney | News Editor

Contrary to an original email sent out by UNC Wilmington University Police two weeks ago, the assault of a female student by two men in ski masks did not actually occur on campus.

The original email said that “at approximately 9 p.m. [Feb. 11], [the] University Police Department received a call from a student indicating she had been physically assaulted approximately 30 minutes prior, in the H [parking] Lot located near the water tower across from Friday Hall.”

The email also said that the young woman who was allegedly attacked reported being assaulted by three males wearing dark clothing and ski masks‎, and that University Police immediately initiated a response and investigation. 

When asked how University Police were notified of the situation, UNCW Assistant Police Chief and Major Chris Bertram said that the student went to a friend’s apartment over at Seahawk Crossing Building Three and the friend pushed the call box.

From there, the police were told the story that was said in the original email; however, this was later proven to be false.

In a statement to WWAYTV, Major Bertram said surveillance video helped them to determine that the assault did not happen on campus. He said that University Police spoke with the female student who had allegedly been attacked and she now no longer remembers what happened.

But that still leaves the question of how the girl was injured. According to Major Bertram, the student had an injury, but it was not severe.

“It is unclear how the injury occurred,” said Major Bertram, “but it was not from the reported assault.”

As well as the incident not occurring on campus, a report by F.T. Norton of the Star News said that according to the woman’s mother, no other report has been made to the Wilmington Police Department.

“In any case where we discover that an offense occurred outside our jurisdiction, we advise the complainant to contact the proper authorities,” said Major Bertram about whether or not UNCW police could do anything on the matter. “Agencies do not file reports with other agencies for complainants, but do share whatever information we gathered if they request it.”

UNCW’s police department cannot investigate off-campus incidents, and, although Major Bertram and the department would assist another agency in whatever way they could, after speaking with the student’s parent yesterday, they have not been given any indication that they will be contacting the Wilmington Police Department.

“At this time we have definitive evidence that the assault did not occur as reported to us,” said Major Bertram. “There also has not been a report filed with WPD for them to pursue.”

Though an assault or injury of some kind did take place, since it did not occur on campus and will not be pursued by the WPD per request of the student’s parents, the investigation will not go further.

However, this incident did not come without its lessons. The police wrote at the bottom of a follow up email to students urging them to contact police in cases of emergency.

“While the report of an assault caused concern ‎for our students, their parents and our employees,” according to the police department’s latest email, “it also served as a reminder to remain vigilant, be aware of one’s surroundings at all times, and reach out to UPD or take advantage of other university resources designed to protect our community.”