UNCW awarded ‘Silver’ ranking in sustainability by AASHE

Casey Auch | Layout Editor

In April of 2016, Kat Pohlman, UNC Wilmington’s Sustainability Captain, submitted a report to the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System (STARS). STARS, a program by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), provides a framework for universities to quantify the extent of their sustainability performance.

“STARS only provides positive recognition,” states the AASHE website. The levels of recognition — Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum — are determined by the number of credits an institution pursues in four categories: Academics, Engagement, Operations and Planning & Administration.

UNCW’s score of 52.86 fell between the benchmarking scores of 45 (Silver) and 65 (Gold).

“It is UNCW’s goal to reach Gold Ranking status by 2024, and we are on track to meet or exceed that goal,” Sharon Boyd, Associate Vice Chancellor of Business Services, said in an e-mail interview.  

The report was compiled after 100 interviews involving every department on campus. “Every single person at UNCW impacted this score and should be proud of this accomplishment,” said Pohlman.

Though Appalachian State University (2015), UNC Greensboro (2014), UNC Chapel Hill (2014) and North Carolina State University (2016) have already been awarded a gold rating, UNCW boasts a score of 32.94 out of 40.00 in Curriculum, higher than any UNC system institution.

“As helpful as it is to have this ranking system for benchmarking and assessments, I do not believe that you can put a number on sustainability or its impact on the people and environment of this campus,” said Pohlman.

Having been involved with UNCW Sustainability since 2007, Pohlman said she has seen this university work endlessly in making decisions that positively impact the environment, social equity, and economic vitality.

Receiving approximately 40 percent of all applicable points, the Operations category needs the most improvement. “UNCW is committed to improving resource efficiency of our operations. Where budget policy previously hindered such efforts, we are now able to convert efficiencies into budget savings,” said Boyd.

“We are proud that we were the first in the system to achieve the mandated energy savings by 2015,” she continued.

Dining Services also has a lot to offer to UNCW’s Sustainability successes. 12 percent of on-campus food is local, and between Wagoner Hall and Dubs Cafe, the university sources food from 25 local farms.

UNCW has also attempted to illustrate its commitment to sustainability with its offered academia. Beginning this fall, UNCW offers a sustainability minor and cluster in addition to the Sustainability Peer Educator program.

“Today’s students care about a more purposeful, meaningful life, and the Silver Ranking symbolizes UNCW’s commitment to them,” said Boyd.