Softball sweeps doubleheader against Canisius

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

Janel Gamache (9) throws a pitch during UNCW’s matchup with Howard in the Fairfield Inn & Suites Seahawk Softball Bash on Feb. 15, 2019.

Elijah Mize, Staff Writer

UNC Wilmington softball greeted Canisius with broomsticks in a two-game sweep of on Tuesday at Boseman Field. The Seahawks took the first game 4-0, while their offense broke out in a 10-1 win in the late game.

“We challenged our hitters on Sunday afternoon to really focus on Monday and come in and get some work done on their own and they did exactly that,” said coach Kristy Norton postgame.

The hard work paid off for the Seahawks who exploded for 14 runs on 15 hits in the two games while allowing the lone run in the second game.

“We were really proud of their achievements today. I think hard work pays off and it also rewards you,” said Norton.

Game 1- UNCW 4 Canisius 0

UNCW scored one run in the bottom of the first after three straight one-out singles that culminated with a sophomore Carson Shaner RBI single. The Seahawks added three runs in the third inning after Shaner stepped to the plate with runners on and connected for her sixth home run of the season.

Shaner’s four RBI were all UNCW needed to hold off the Golden Griffins. As a team, the Seahawks finished with six hits and two errors.

Freshman Jada Santiago and Janel Gamache, along with junior Dominique Travers each added one hit and one run.

On the mound, the Seahawks used another strong outing from senior Haley Lenderman (7-4) as she went seven innings, allowed zero runs, and struck out three on her way to a complete game shutout.

This was the third straight shutout for Lenderman after her two-win weekend pitching twice against Youngstown State Saturday and Sunday.

Game 2- UNCW 10 Canisius 1

The Seahawks struck first again in the later game and needed five innings to finish off Canisius and get the sweep.

Junior pitcher  Rylee Pate allowed no runs on one hit across three innings. Pate’s eight wins are now tied for second in the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Seahawks scored eight runs in the bottom of the first inning which forced Canisius to go to their bullpen. Golden Griffins pitcher Hayley Tomaro lasted just one-third of an inning and surrendered seven runs on five hits.

Seahawks designated-player Jada Santiago started the onslaught of runs in that first inning with a solo home run to open the scoring and finished with three runs batted in on one hit and one run scored.

UNCW scored those eight first-inning runs on six hits with nine different Seahawks reaching base. Travers, Santiago and Gamache each collected two at-bats in the first inning.

Shaner finished the game with two, bringing her season total to 20 RBI. Redshirt junior catcher Rachel Willis had a strong day at the plate finishing with two hits, one run, and one RBI.

The Seahawks collected their ten runs on nine hits and two walks. On the mound, UNCW was able to control the game once again and allowed one run on four hits and struck out one total.

Up Next

UNCW welcomes CAA foe Towson this weekend for a Saturday doubleheader and a Sunday afternoon first pitch.

Staff Writer Elijah Mize can be found on Twitter @sportsguyEli. Any tips or suggestions should be forwarded via email to [email protected].