Living life on the line

Contributing Writer: Savanna Shackleford

Hanging in balance, living life on the line, taking risks and making memories: all different aspects of slacklining that reveal truth about the activity. Recently, slacklining communities have taken over college campuses and homes across the country. It isn’t unheard of to see students jumping across ropes held up by trees like futuristic monkeys.

“Slacklining originated within the mountain climbing scene during the 1980s,” according to the Chicago Slackliners Association. “During days of rest, climbers got the idea to tie up climbing ropes between trees to see if they could balance.” 

Slacklining is an activity involving focus and concentration as its participants make their way across a rope designed to create a challenge. Companies like Gibbon, Slackline and Eno have started mass manufacturing the product with the intention of selling to college students. The activity has appealed to this target audience because of the large spatial area and access to trees.

“It is also a very social activity that offers a relaxing alternative to other more taxing exercises,” said UNCW slackliner Felix Carlson.

Experienced slackliners would tell newcomers not to look down, but rather look at the anchor by the tree. By doing this, the line becomes the ground and all fear of falling disappears. It is easier to achieve by taking off one’s shoes. Freeing the toes allows for better grip and balance on the line.

The best way to start is by putting the line a foot and a half off of the ground. This height is not only good for beginners, but is also a good height for experienced slackliners who just want to relax.

However, to take it to the next level, slackliners will raise the line to four feet, or climb the tree and take it to 10. The most experienced slackliners suspend the line between cliffs, usually 70 feet or more above the ground.

Tricklining is a form of slacklining that is less about meditation and more about putting on a show. Tricklines are generally wider to allow for tricks such as flips, butt bounces and chest bounces.

Slackasana is another form of slacklining, also known as yoga slacklining. Some common poses are the warrior, tree pose and buddha pose.

“The point isn’t just to walk across a tightrope,” said Carlson. “It is a form of active meditation, where you have to focus on so much and keep your body completely in tune with your mind, but let all superfluous thoughts fall away.”

It is for that reason that so many have been drawn to the meditative activity. College campuses, however, don’t seem to be as on board. Colleges such as Central Carolina University have put a stop to the activity due to the damage it has done to trees, and the liability that comes with the dangers of falling.

“The decision is drawing criticism from students who have rallied in protest and signed a petition claiming the university is trying to take away enjoyable recreational activities,” according to an article submitted to the Press Democrat.

Students are unhappy and see the activity as less of a liability and more of an advantage for the community. It allows for recreational activity that keeps kids outside and interacting. The students involved are constantly improving their bodies and keeping their minds focused and working. The damage done to the trees can be preventable if the right measures are taken.

“I do think that tree wraps should be enforced,” said Carlson. “There are materials you wrap around the tree under the anchors to protect the tree. You can either buy name brands or just use towels.” 

UNCW has not banned slacklining as of yet. There is a slacklining club on campus, however. The club frequently posts videos on YouTube of some of the tricklining they do. If anyone is interested, talk to someone in the club.

Slacklining, unlike other forms of exercise, utilizes every part of the body. Most importantly, it requires extreme focus and it requires that the slackliner be in tune with his or her body, understand the risks and keep the balance necessary for success. All things in moderation, all things in balance.