• University of North Carolina sign located in front of Hoggard Hall (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

News

UNC Board of Governors Committee moves to eliminate DEI policy

• Students and faculty walking down Chancellors Walk shouting DEI cannot go! (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

News

BSU protest against the new UNC DEI policy change

• Sign outside of Randall Library. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Culture

REDdress demonstration outside of Randall Library

• Image of the April 2 SGA Meeting where they discussed the grading point-scale change. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

SGA looks to implement universal 10-point grading scale

• Photos of

News

Q&A with 2024-2025 school year student body president and student body vice president

• Image of emergency service vehicles outside of Morton. (Peyton James/The Seahawk)

News

​​COVID cluster or electrical fire?

• Biden-Harris administration hosts roundtable to discuss the experiences of two womens pregnancies post the overturn of Roe v. Wade in 2022 (Courtesy of the Biden Campaign).

News

Biden Campaign sits down with student journalists to discuss abortion rights

• Randall Library is under construction as UNCW works to expand the building and resources it offers. (Peyton Lewis/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW invests in new expansion to Randall Library

• People walk with You belong signs at a Pride month protest. (Adiden Craver/Unsplash.com)

Culture

Community, isolation and politics: The mental health of queer students at UNCW

• Group shot of SWE. (Courtesy: Tyler Stubbs)

News

Dredging on Wrightsville Beach coming to a close

Fall activities in Wilmington

A variety of candy apples for sale at Kilwins Chocolate Shop on Market St. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Fall is here in the Wilmington area, bringing in an abundance of activities to do. Check out some of these activities in the local area to do with friends this fall season.

Outdoor and Nature

Long Leaf Park

314 Pine Grove Dr, Wilmington, NC 28409

Visit Long Leaf Park for a picnic, hang out spot or just a walk. This is an easy way to wind down and to get out in nature to admire the weather change in the fall.

Wrightsville Beach

Visit Wrightsville beach for a getaway from classes and enjoy the beauty of nature. Parking is free at beach accesses making this an affordable adventure. Hang out with friends, study, listen to music or spend time to yourself on the beach.

Food and Drink

Spill Coffee Co.

1207 S Kerr Ave Suite 1, Wilmington, NC 28403

Visit the local Spill Coffee Co. coffee shop to grab a fall flavored coffee with friends. Spill Coffee Co. is a local owned coffee shop near campus. Spill Coffee Co. provides a variety of coffees, flavors and seasonal favorites. There is plenty of seating to study or hang out with friends.

Kilwins Chocolate Shop

16 Market St, Wilmington, NC 28401

Grab a candy caramel apple or fudge and enjoy the view of the Cape Fear River. Kilwins has a range of delicious sweet treats perfect for the fall season. They have various chocolate treats from fudge, truffles and ice cream. 

Hidden Grounds Cafe

21 S 2nd St, Wilmington, NC 28401

Located in historic downtown Wilmington, grab a coffee at the magical, tucked away treasure. Brewed and crafted coffees of all different kinds are served here.

Festivals and Events

Riverfront Farmers Market

Dock Street, between 2nd and Water streets in historic downtown Wilmington

Saturdays 8 AM – 1 PM

Until November 18

Admission: Free

Enjoy a morning stroll downtown while visiting the Riverfront Farmers market in historic downtown Wilmington. This year the farmers market is celebrating their 20th anniversary. Browse around at the fresh local produce, meats, breads, baked goods, flowers, plants and artisan products.

Attractions

Museum of the Bizarre

201 S Water St, Wilmington, NC 28401

Admission: $3 for entry, other events $2

Museum of the Bizarre is home to interesting figurines, props and other collectable items. Walk around and look at the strange objects but also explore other activities, such as the mirror maze. This museum is an adventure that awaits to be explored alone or with friends.

Bellamy Mansion Museum

503 Market Street Wilmington, NC 28401

Admission: $15

The Bellamy Mansion museum is open to the public to admire the architecture and history of historic Wilmington. Self guided tours are available to look at the inside of the former home of the Bellamy’s. Open from 10 am till 4 pm, you can tour one of the may historical homes in downtown Wilmington.

Ghost Walk of Old Wilmington

8 Market St Suite B, Wilmington, NC 28401

Admission: $17

Tour the eerie and haunting parts in a 90-minute walk of historic downtown. The tour entails viewing some of the city’s most active haunted homes and burial grounds. Hear the haunting stories and tales from the professional storytellers in historic Wilmington.

For Next Fall

The Veg-Out Festival

November

Riverfront Park

Admission: Free

The Veg-Out Festival is a community event that celebrates and informs about health and lifestyle choices. Yoga, cooking demonstrations and vegan food trucks are some of the many activities that will be held at the festival.

Cape Fear Kite Festival

November 3-5

Fort fisher State Recreation Area

1000 Loggerhead Road

Kure Beach, NC 28449

Admission: Free

The Cape Fear Kite Festival is held on Pleasure Island with the numerous kites that fill the sky for free admission. There are over 20 kite flyers to admire while visiting. Live music and a variety of food trucks will be present to enjoy as well as a kite decorating workshop.