You’re a vile one, Mr. Kavanaugh

Brett+Kavanaugh+during+his+Supreme+Court+Justice+confirmation+hearings+last+year.+

Tribune News Service

Brett Kavanaugh during his Supreme Court Justice confirmation hearings last year.

Veronica Wernicke, Assistant Opinion Editor

There are a few words that come to mind when I hear the name, Brett Kavanaugh: vile, pathetic, childish and, unfortunately, a justice of the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS). 

Last year, when Kavanaugh was in the running to become a Supreme Court Justice, I initially did not pay enough attention, especially since he was being nominated by President Donald Trump—I also have some words for him, but that is another story. But when the sexual allegations came out, like millions of Americans, I was pulled into the story. 

For those who somehow missed the Ford v. Kavanaugh case or forgot essentially last year, Christine Blasey Ford accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault back when the two were in high school. It is also important to note that Ford was not the only woman who accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct.  

“I am here today not because I want to be. I am terrified,” Ford said in her statement. “I am here because I believe it is my civic duty to tell you what happened to me while Brett Kavanaugh and I were in high school… I felt I couldn’t not do it.”

In her testimony in front of congress, Ford emotionally shared her story:

“Early in the evening, I went up a narrow set of stairs leading from the living room to a second floor to use the bathroom. When I got to the top of the stairs, I was pushed from behind into a bedroom. I couldn’t see who pushed me.”

“Brett [Kavanaugh] and Mark [Judge] came into the bedroom and locked the door behind them. There was music already playing in the bedroom. It was turned up louder by either Brett or Mark once we were in the room. I was pushed onto the bed and Brett got on top of me. He began running his hands over my body and grinding his hips into me.”

“I yelled, hoping someone downstairs might hear me, and tried to get away from him, but his weight was heavy. Brett groped me and tried to take off my clothes. He had a hard time because he was so drunk, and because I was wearing a one-piece bathing suit under my clothes. I believed he was going to rape me. I tried to yell for help.”

Her emotional and powerful testimony was followed by Kavanaugh’s account trying to defend himself. 

“This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit. Fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election. Fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record. Revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups. This is a circus,” Kavanaugh said.

I did not watch every second of his trial because I frankly could not devote so much time to a vile man. But throughout the entire process, I just hoped that the system would do its job correctly and hold a man accused of sexual assault accountable. 

Especially in the midst of the #MeToo movement. 

But alas, our justice system and the joke of the FBI’s investigation failed us. Instead of setting an example for all other sexual assaulters we saw a repeat of the 1991 Anita Hill vs Clarence Thomas case.

We let a sexual predator into our highest courts to continue to deceive and take advantage of others.  

While I thought I had put Kavanaugh out of mind, he came back to the news forefront earlier this month in two articles by The New York Times. 

The first article published new information regarding sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh. They reported that the FBI failed to follow up after receiving a letter from a Democratic Senator Chris Coons of Delaware, who reportedly had “information relevant” to the case.

Along with Coons, the forthcoming book by two New York Times reporters, which brought this information to light, reported that others also had a difficult time trying to relay pertinent information about the case to anyone in the FBI.

And just like that, the same questions I kept asking myself during the trial resurfaced in my brain. 

How could anyone believe Kavanaugh, how does he sleep at night and how could we let someone like this in SCOTUS again?  

The second article added to the allegations from the first article and reported that since it was published “several Democratic presidential candidates called for” Kavanaugh’s impeachment on the basis of new allegations against him and the poor and frankly embarrassing investigation the FBI carried out last year.

Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts took to Twitter to voice her thoughts on these new reports.

“These newest revelations are disturbing. Like the man who appointed him, Kavanaugh should be impeached,” Warren wrote.

Others like Kamala Harris, Democratic senator from California; Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and Bernie Sanders, senator from Vermont, agreed with Warren in tweets of their own.

Meanwhile, others like Trump, Republican Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell, and Ronna McDaniel, chairwoman of the Republican National Committee, jumped to the defense of Kavanaugh on Twitter. 

“Brett Kavanaugh should start suing people for libel, or the Justice Department should come to his rescue. The lies being told about him are unbelievable. False Accusations without recrimination. When does it stop? They are trying to influence his opinions. Can’t let that happen!” Trump wrote.

I find Trump’s response quite hysterical because the Justice Department sure did not come to the rescue of Ford and the countless other women who accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct, so why should it help him?

While I am disappointed that Kavanaugh somehow weaseled his way into the Supreme Court, I hope that in light of the New York Times evaluation of the FBI’s less than thorough investigation and these new allegations that we can learn, improve and get rid of Kavanaugh.