Bridges’ slam not enough in loss to no. 7 Wolfpack

Noah+Bridges+%2822%29+during+UNCWs+contest+against+N.C.+State+at+Brooks+Field+on+April+16%2C+2019.+

Noah Powers/The Seahawk

Noah Bridges (22) during UNCW’s contest against N.C. State at Brooks Field on April 16, 2019.

Brandon Sans, Sports Editor

PHOTOS: #7 NC State 14 UNCW 7

It was like a boxing match on a baseball diamond.

Both teams delivered big hits and traded blows at times, but it was North Carolina State who proved victorious at Brooks Field, 14-7, on Tuesday night.

The Wolfpack jumped out early with five runs over the first two innings and held the UNC Wilmington hitless until the fourth. By the time the Seahawks (20-18, 7-5 CAA) offense came to life after the fifth inning, it was too late in their 14-7 loss to the Wolfpack (30-8, 12-6 ACC).

UNCW centerfielder Noah Bridges hit a grand slam that capped seven runs over the fifth and sixth innings. If not for a Brad Debo three-run home run that went straight towards the E. Marvin Johnson Training Facility in right-center field a frame earlier, Bridges would’ve given the Seahawks a brief lead.

Sophomore starting pitcher Gage Herring couldn’t escape the first inning in his ninth start of the season. Herring continued to struggle with his command and walked four after surrendering three Wolfpack runs.

An odd injury occurred in the top of the second when NC State shortstop Will Wilson collided with the back of Seahawk first baseman Doug Angeli after Wilson hit his 13th home run of the year. He exited after the collision with Angeli.

Aside from the Wilson home run, Walke shut down the Wolfpack over 4.1 innings of relief work. UNCW used seven pitchers who walked 10 batters against NC State.

“We’ve got to be able to close some innings out,” said UNCW coach Mark Scalf. “Neither team pitched exceptionally well.”

The Seahawks caught a break in the bottom of the fifth when Bridges ran past Lucas Oxendine between first and second before retreating. All three umpires missed it and second baseman Jackson Meadows cashed it in with a two-run, one-out double that pulled UNCW within two runs an inning before Bridge’s slam.

Despite keeping the comeback door pried open throughout, Wolfpack first baseman Evan Edwards’ slammed it shut on UNCW with a three-run home run in the top of the eighth.

UNCW has now lost five of its last six to NC State who’ll face a Scalf-coached Seahawk team for the final time on April 30 in Raliegh.

Sports Editor Brandon Sans can be found on Twitter @bsans10. Any tips or suggestions should be forwarded via email to [email protected].